Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: questions about printing photo backgrounds  (Read 935 times)

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
questions about printing photo backgrounds
« on: February 26, 2012, 10:10:37 am »

Hi all,
   I've got a large project coming up where I could use several custom backgrounds and ideally a few different faux wood floors. I would like to print my own because I want MY textures but also it seems rediculous to pay the $230+prices I see for a faux 4x8' floor. I'm curious if any of you are printing your own from time to time. I need them to last for 3-4 days of solid use and light foot traffic, beyond that I'll sell em, give em away or whatever else. so I'm curious about a few things:
   what material would you use for backdrop and/or floor? cheap canvas?
   will a satin/matte sprayed canvas take any amount of careful foot traffic?
   other thoughts?
thanks

na goodman

Re: questions about printing photo backgrounds
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 10:41:01 am »

I made floor cloths from canvas that were to be used at the entrance to their homes. I sprayed the canvases 3-5 coats with Glamour II. The glossier the finish the more durable they will be.
They look the same the day I did them and that was close to a year ago.

Landscapes

Looking at the math...
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 03:17:23 pm »

it seems rediculous to pay the $230+prices I see for a faux 4x8' floor.

If you are going to go the sprayed canvas route, here is how the math works out.  4'x8'= 32 square feet.  Having just worked out my printing costs, taking the cost of canvas and ink into account, I'd say you are looking at roughly $50 in canvas and $75 to $100 in ink.  Then you need to coat of course, which might only be less than $10 in pure material costs (BC Timeless), but lots of labor.  So from a pure cost point of view, you are really looking at roughly $150+.  I'm not sure if this number is all that attractive when you consider the amount of time that you will put into this.  Of course if you really want to use your patterns then go for it, but I would think a $230 commercial version sounds like a better choice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up