Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Misty Isle  (Read 1243 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
The Misty Isle
« on: February 26, 2012, 10:09:38 am »

The name of the shot and subject says it all I think.

CC's as always.

Dave

sdwilsonsct

Re: The Misty Isle
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 10:25:24 am »

Very nice, Dave. I like the echoed shapes and blues all the way into the distance, the boat and house that give scale, and the warm/cool colour contrast.
Scott

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 12:37:49 pm »

I feel a bit guilty about what I want to suggest, but this is a great image which I believe has a slight problem.
I'd suggest to crop away a part of image, be it from the bottom, the top or both.
My impression is, that the very dynamic format takes something away from the otherwise very beautiful image.
So I want to suggest - not to make is square, but maybe a little more "squarish".
I am not sure if this would work if it was printed big though.

Cheers
~Chris

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 02:15:49 pm »

I feel a bit guilty about what I want to suggest, but this is a great image which I believe has a slight problem.
I'd suggest to crop away a part of image, be it from the bottom, the top or both.
My impression is, that the very dynamic format takes something away from the otherwise very beautiful image.
So I want to suggest - not to make is square, but maybe a little more "squarish".
I am not sure if this would work if it was printed big though.

Cheers
~Chris

Thanks for the suggestion and I had sort of tried squaring it off as you suggest, but I found if I take about a 1/4 to a 1/3 off the top, that yes it definitely works, or if I take about a 1/4 to a 1/3 off the bottom it still works, but as I really like the dynamic nature of the clouds and the blue breaking through on the top, and also the bottom detail of the seaweed and sand, I couldn't make my up my mind which was or wasn't better, so I left it exactly as I framed it.

I am doing these images for the main Isle of Skye gallery, as they have asked me to provide them with some 'Iconic' views of Skye - this was taken yesterday afternoon on the Sleat peninsula, Isle of Skye.

Dave

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 03:06:12 pm »

Wow.
Perfect light & deep of field (f/32 ?).

francois

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 04:49:06 am »

I like it as it is but Christoph's suggestion is worth trying.
Francois

jalcocer

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 08:30:45 am »

Solitude on the ground (shed/house), solitude on the water (boat), very nice composition and great tones.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 09:00:37 am »

Wow.
Perfect light & deep of field (f/32 ?).

Hi Roberto,

No it was actually F5.6 but taken from a distance, hence the good DoF even at that wide setting. I used a 70/200L IS lens with a 1.4 MkII extender zoomed in fully to 280mm, a 2 stop Soft ND Grad with centred weighted metering minus a 1/4 of a stop.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up