Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DNG Profile Editor and LR4 (Beta)  (Read 10372 times)

S Kale

DNG Profile Editor and LR4 (Beta)
« on: February 26, 2012, 08:26:57 am »

Quick question: is the use of DNG Profile Editor (together with a Colorchecker chart) to make a specific camera profile dependent on or linked to the version of ACR? I am currently using the beta version of LR4 with the intention on purchasing it when it becomes available. It obviously has the new RAW conversion engine. I am wondering if my profiles created using DNG Profile Editor are still "valid" for this new RAW conversion engine. (Hopefully that makes sense.)

sandymc

Re: DNG Profile Editor and LR4 (Beta)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 10:57:52 am »

So far as I am aware, if the profile that you use as a starting point is a DNG V1.3 (aka LR3) profile, all should be fine, even if you use the resulting profile in LR4.

However, if you try to use a DNG V1.4 (aka LR4) profile as the starting point for the DNG profile editor, the results may be unpredictable, as the current DNG profile editor doesn't understand DNG 1.4 profiles correctly.

But possible Eric will come along and add more specifics.

Sandy

S Kale

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 12:18:40 pm »

The starting point is a .dng photo of the Colorchecker

sandymc

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 12:33:35 pm »

The starting point is a .dng photo of the Colorchecker

Well, yes, but DNG 1.3 or DNG 1.4 is the question.

Sandy

S Kale

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 02:01:10 pm »

Ok, your use of the word profile is what threw me.

My RAW file was converted to a DNG image file by Adobe DNG Converter ver 6.4 (139), which I understand to be the latest available, with compatibility set to Camera Raw 5.4 and later.

(I presume the only way I would get a DNG v1.4 image file would be for LR4 to do the conversion to DNG.)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 02:22:41 pm »

However, if you try to use a DNG V1.4 (aka LR4) profile as the starting point for the DNG profile editor, the results may be unpredictable, as the current DNG profile editor doesn't understand DNG 1.4 profiles correctly.

The current version of the DNG Profile Editor can't deal with lossy compressed DNGs. I don't think it has any problems with fast load data. So, if you make a simple DNG with no lossy compression the current editor should be fine. As far as I know, there will be an update for the DNG Profile Editor to deal with lossy DNGs in the near future.

S Kale

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 02:33:26 pm »

Thanks both. I was concerned that there might be something about LR4 ACR's (ver 7?) colour rendition that was incompatible with a profile generated by the current DNG Profile Editor and that both needed to be of the same generation.

sandymc

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 02:35:51 pm »

The current version of the DNG Profile Editor can't deal with lossy compressed DNGs. I don't think it has any problems with fast load data. So, if you make a simple DNG with no lossy compression the current editor should be fine. As far as I know, there will be an update for the DNG Profile Editor to deal with lossy DNGs in the near future.

Jeff,

Not wanting to disagree with the oracle of all things LR :), but my understanding is that the profile editor will not work with a DNG that uses the profiles that have the new DNG 1.4 tags - e.g., the offset tag (don't know what the official name is) as described here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4083472#4083472, and also in one of my blog posts here: http://chromasoft.blogspot.com/2011/12/adobe-lr-36-and-v4-profiles-oh-dear.html

So I don't think its just a matter of lossy compressed/not.

However, I wasn't really being completely accurate about what will/won't work - actually, LR3.6 DNGs may not work either - what you really need to do is to set for DNG 1.3 compatibility when converting, rather than rely on LR versions.

Sandy
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:42:45 pm by sandymc »

Schewe

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 03:40:12 pm »

So I don't think its just a matter of lossy compressed/not.

I don't have a camera that relies on any v4 profiles, so I can't test that...I did just test taking a 6.6 compatible DNG in LR4 (from a Canon 1DsMIII) and it opens in the version 1.0 DNG Profile Editor and can make a profile. But the issue regarding v4 profiles isn't a LR4 issue...it's the same as DNG Converter 6.6 & ACR6.6 and LR3.6.

LR4 adds the DNG 1.4 spec with fast load data and lossy compression. I just tested lossy DNG and DNG Profile Editor throws an error. Regular 6.6 DNG with fast load flavor works.

I know the DNG 1.4 SDK will be released, but prolly not until after ACR 7 in PS CS6 ships. I also suspect there will be a new version of DNG Profile Editor as well...

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 03:42:53 pm »

Yes, Adobe will be releasing an updated version of DNG Profile Editor before long which will handle the 3 new color-related tags in DNG 1.4.  But in the meantime, profiles made with the current release version should work fine in all ACR versions 5.4 and up, and all LR versions 2.4 and up.
Eric Chan

Schewe

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 12:18:26 am »

The starting point is a dog.

Uh...let me guess, registered today? Spammer? Thought so...cleanup on isle three.
Pages: [1]   Go Up