Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 will only print "roll"  (Read 2759 times)

hjsesq

z3100 will only print "roll"
« on: February 25, 2012, 12:06:13 pm »

I load a piece of sheet paper using the printer controls naming the paper and as sheet, then with a Mac, I enter print and with the print menu of the Mac I set in the layout the paper is sheet, and when I check the printer monitor on the printer paper type it confirms I loaded sheet paper, and yet when I attempt to print, the print monitor now says "Load roll for next job" and will not print on the sheet loaded. What do I do to get this corrected?  I have disconnected the printer, left it off overnight, rebooted the computer and printer, and it keeps coming up the same.  BTW, the previous paper used was roll and with that the printer worked properly.  Has anyone else had this problem and what do I do to correct it.
Thanks
Harris
Harris J Sklar

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
Re: z3100 will only print "roll"
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 01:17:41 pm »

I've been dealing with an occasional bug in the HP print driver for a while now that occasionally shows a hiccup in the media type.  When this happens to me, it can be solved by going back to the Print Settings button in the Photoshop driver.  Sometimes it will show that sheet is selected, but until I hit the Print Settings button a second time and press Save (without changing anything, BTW), it fails to recognize the sheet selection input.  Your issue may be something else entirely, but make sure that it isn't this simple but annoying fix first, before assuming it is something more dire.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 01:24:27 pm »

I never had that issue, but check the "print preferences" window for the paper source selected and make shure it is set for sheets, not rolls.

Best regards.

hjsesq

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 02:18:02 pm »

Thanks for suggestions and have checked and done all that was suggested but does not work.  When I load the paper the monitor says "Loading Sheet" and then I select the source in the PS menu, attempt to print, and get message "Load Roll For Next Job."  When I unload the sheet using the menu on the printer, the printer monitor says "Unloading Sheet."  I have the paper size set for Tabloid and paper source set for Manuel Feed and with all of this, when I attempt to print, I get the message "Load Roll For Next Job."
When I go to the printer queue I get the message "Printer Error: The printer needs attention."  BTW, when I go to check the "Loaded Paper Information" it shows the correct paper and size I loaded. It seems like the Gremlins are at work (If you were around during WWII you know about Gremlins).

Any other ideas - have some work I have to get out this week and don't know where else to turn.
Harris J Sklar

hjsesq

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 02:27:28 pm »

Should add that the printer queue menu under "Job Info" it correctly identifies the paper I loaded.
Harris J Sklar

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 02:28:36 pm »

If you've confirmed that it says Manual Feed in the driver, and have OK'd this in the driver more than once, all I can suggest is a workaround, by lying to the printer about it being a roll.  This will only work if the sheet size is big enough that it will accept the size as a roll width.  Not a good solution, but one that might work as a temporary fix.  Making sure that you are running the latest HP driver, and perhaps reinstalling it, are the only other possible fixes I can think of.  It doesn't sound like the printer itself is the source of the trouble.  The screw up is coming from your computer's end of things, by telling the printer to expect a roll when it should be asking for a sheet.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

hjsesq

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 12:18:35 pm »

I was finally able to get the printer to identify sheet paper and print.  I turned off the computer, pulled the plug and ethernet from the printer, left it overnight, and then in the plugged in the printer and ethernet cable, turned on the computer, loaded a sheet of paper, and was able to print.  All of these things I had done previously so I do not understand why it worked today, except perhaps I did some of these actions in a different order today.

In any event, I can now print on sheets and able to finish a job - thanks to all for your suggestions - much appreciated.

Harris
Harris J Sklar

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 02:47:29 am »

My Z3200 had something similar similar some weeks ago. I think if the switch in the paper insert slit is not flipping back while media is loaded the printer gets into confusion. I got it working again but later on removed the back panel where the switch is integrated in and cleaned the switch, springs + put a little synthetic oil on the plastic bearing. If you go that route, first disconnect that small connector underneath the left side of that panel. you being behind the printer. Reed type switch on the Z3200 that should move back and forth easily.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst
Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Pages: [1]   Go Up