Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UVcut or Not?  (Read 1518 times)

RandomJoe

UVcut or Not?
« on: February 24, 2012, 09:56:00 pm »

I am going to purchase the i1 Publish Pro Spectro Color calibration kit
but i am unsure if i should purchase the UVcut version or the regular version

I use versaworks with my VP-540 and VS-640 and mainly run 3M IJ-35-C vinyl. please some Neschen Easy Panel 310 and LG Xign Banner

Can someone please recommend either the UVcut or regular version of the i1 please.

I have read all the threads I could find on this subject but, im more confused then ever..

Ethan_Hansen

• Dry Creek Photo
Re: UVcut or Not?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 12:32:30 am »

The LG Xign fabric, at least in its matt version, contains enough optical brighteners that I suspect i1Profiler will need UV-cut data to build a clean profile. The profiles we have made for it all needed software-based optical brightener compensation (OBC) to obtain clean highlights. No experience with the translucent version, but the i1-Pro won't be of much use for it anyway.

We have not used IJ35, but if it behaves similarly to other 3M films (IJ180 and the IJ3650 flavors) the opaque white films contain moderate amounts of brighteners. We only needed to apply serious OBC when the viewing light would be outdoors in direct sun or indoors under standard fluorescents. If these apply to you, go with the UV-Cut instrument. Also, be sure to make different profiles for natural light vs. CWF. There is enough metamerism at play that fluorescents need special treatment.

I know we have printed stuff on various Neschen substrates, but the only one I can find a profile handy for is one of the canvas films. Probably not similar enough to provide useful feedback.

My recommendation would be to get the UV-Cut i1-Pro package if you are planning to use X-Rite's i1Profiler tools. Were you using other software that had software-based brightener compensation the non-cut variant would give superior performance particularly in shadow areas. An alternative is to get the iSis and go through the OBC loops. A painful process, but the results are surprisingly good.

RandomJoe

Re: UVcut or Not?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 01:27:24 am »

My main purpose of of calibrating is to try and match the output of both of my rolands to each other. so I can split a job between the two of them and get a very similar output. other than that objective as long as its pleasing colour im happy :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up