Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Tablet Article On LL, They Forgot Something...  (Read 6440 times)

Gemmtech

The Tablet Article On LL, They Forgot Something...
« on: February 23, 2012, 10:02:22 am »

I believe a lot of people are like me and are waiting for the onslaught of Windows Tablet...?  Obviously it will be a much more useful device once Windows tablets are released (some are available now).  Lenovo had a teaser up on their website, however they took it down.  Windows 8 will change everything and I believe will take a HUGE bite out of IPad sales unless of course the rumors are true and MS Office is coming to the PAD.   I have played around with the convertibles and they are nice, but I want lighter.  Also, it can't be that difficult to put a card reader into a tablet, shame on Apple, but then again their designs are not that great, especially if you want to repair or change a battery. :-( 

Hopefully we aren't waiting much longer for a real tablet to do real work.  I can just imagine viewing and editing a CAD file... WOW or being able to install LR.  It has to be close.   

I do agree international traveling (I do a lot of it) is getting a little more difficult and it's nice to keep the weight down, smaller / lighter cameras and computers are nice

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Re: The Tablet Article On LL, They Forgot Something...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 10:31:15 am »

To me, USB host functions are the major obstacle to replacing a laptop for my field photography work.  With USB host, I could then use it as a backup and storage device with only a normal card reader.  All the machinations we go through to get stuff onto iPads with only 64GB of storage is a real pain...not to mention the inability to attach a normal USB hard drive to an iPad or an android tablet.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 11:08:56 am »

Disregarding my dislike of living in a walled garden, lack of physical connectivity is the main reason I've avoided iPad so far.  Even the 64GB version lacks the amount of internal storage photographers need. The display is so-so, possibly to be rectified with the iPad3. It's quite heavy, fragile and needlessly large, IMHO.

BJL

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 06:59:33 pm »

Gemmtech,
Do you mean Windows on x86 or on ARM? The success of the latter former on tablets depends on Intel (or AMD) greatly improving energy efficiency of their x86 chips. The former latter will not run any existing Windows software (unless you count Microsoft's port of Office and a couple of other items), so its success will depend on which of all that existing Windows software gets rewritten for the Metro interface. It is going to be an interesting race over the next few years.

By the way, my guess is that Apple will aim at wireless solutions like gigabit WiFi (802.11ac) for connecting to external drives, along with AirPlay for connecting to external displays, not add any more ports. Though I am hoping for a Thundebolt port.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 07:52:31 pm by BJL »

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 07:42:09 pm »

Gemmtech,
Do you mean Windows on x86 or on ARM? The success of the latter on tablets depends on Intel (or AMD) greatly improving energy efficiency of their chips. The former will not run any existing Windows software (unless you count microsoft's port of Office and a couple of other items), so its success will depend on which of all that existing Windows software gets rewritten for the Metro interface. It is going to be an interesting race over the next few years.

By the way, my guess is that Apple will aim at wireless solutions like gigabit WiFi (802.11ac) for connecting to external drives, along with AirPlay for connecting to external displays, not add any more ports. Though I am hoping for a Thundebolt port.
I'm not sure I follow you. Intel and AMD won't be the ones making the ARM processors that will run Windows 8. Those will come from other vendors, probably from the mobile space where they are much better at power optimized chips.

BJL

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 07:51:40 pm »

Fike,
    Sorry, I got my words back to front: corrected now.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 07:47:02 am »

I expect windows 8 or some tablet variant on ARM.

BJL

Windows on ARM is coming to the next generation of tablet PCs
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 11:20:40 am »

I expect windows 8 or some tablet variant on ARM.
Perhaps you have missed the news: yes, Windows 8 [codename] will come in two versions: for traditional x86 architecture processors, and for ARM processors. The latter seems primarily aimed at the "tablet device with no built-in keyboard" market, though there are likely to also be x86 powered Windows tablets, as a "power user" option, and maybe even ARM processors in low-power laptops and thin clients.

Here is one summary: Slashgear on 'WARM' devices

P. S. More, from the horse's mouth: Building Windows for the ARM processor architecture
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:28:38 am by BJL »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 05:12:34 pm »

I believe a lot of people are like me and are waiting for the onslaught of Windows Tablet...?  Obviously it will be a much more useful device once Windows tablets are released...

The only time I get remotely excited about something with a word "windows" in it is when... renovating the house. ;)

Gemmtech

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 07:44:55 pm »

I have to admit to getting excited about Apple products, I mean, I love taking 2 hours to replace a hard drive in an IMac after removing countless screws and connectors or losing $52.00 worth of screws from an MBP and having to replace them or taking 3 hours and paying $100.00 to replace a piece of broken glass in my IPhone 4. Yeah, it tests my patience and adroitness :-)  Lots of fun, what else would I be doing? :-)

Garry

BJL

The Tablet Article: X86 or ARM for Windows tablets?
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 08:09:49 am »

Gemtech,
    You are back, so may I ask again whether you Windows 8 tablet hopes are for ones using Intel (or AMD) x86 architecture processor, or for ones using ARM-based processors? Those seem like two quite different product categories with different use cases.

Gemmtech

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 08:39:07 am »

I'm thinking since they can put out a laptop that can be used for 8 hours without a plug then they should be able to produce a tablet with similar performance (Intel x86), naturally the size of the battery is an issue.  I'm not one of these people who likes multiple devices, I see people with a laptop, IPad, E-Reader and 3 cell phones and I say to myself, WHY?  I want one very usable tablet (windows) to take with me that can handle most basic tasks with LR, CAD, and Office. I want a Motorola cell phone (I currently have an IPhone 4) and that's it, well plus my camera equipment and I want to scale that back as well.

Garry

marty m

• http://
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 02:04:55 am »

To me, USB host functions are the major obstacle to replacing a laptop for my field photography work.  With USB host, I could then use it as a backup and storage device with only a normal card reader.  All the machinations we go through to get stuff onto iPads with only 64GB of storage is a real pain...not to mention the inability to attach a normal USB hard drive to an iPad or an android tablet.
Can you attach a USB hub to the new Ipad 3 using the apple camera connector that allows attachment of USB?  

And from the USB hub, attach two portable drives and one card reader?  And from the card reader, then use software like Photo Mechanic or Lightroom to download to the two drives simultaneously?  

(Note:  the drives would be plugged into outside power with AC adapters.  That is required with any netbook, and I assume with the Ipad.  So powering the drives is not an issue.  My question relates to plugging a USB hub into the Ipad, and two drives into the hub.)

This is how I download photos on vacations, using a laptop.  So I download to two drives each time, and keep one G drive on my person, if I'm leaving my car, and one in the car.  So if a theft occurs, I have all my photos.  This also means I'm using two drives, in case one of the portable drives fails.

On a laptop with three USB ports, I just plug the two drives into two ports, and the card reader into the third port.  What I'd like to know is if this can be done on an Ipad 3 using a USB hub and the apple camera connector?

I have never used the operating system of a Mac, so also wonder if you can use the equivalent of file manager to look at the downloads on the two drives, and quickly compare the properties and total downloads to see that both drives received the same number of files.

Is the above possible on an Ipad 3?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 02:49:55 am by marty m »

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 10:58:38 am »

Can you attach a USB hub to the new Ipad 3 using the apple camera connector that allows attachment of USB?  

And from the USB hub, attach two portable drives and one card reader?  And from the card reader, then use software like Photo Mechanic or Lightroom to download to the two drives simultaneously?  

(Note:  the drives would be plugged into outside power with AC adapters.  That is required with any netbook, and I assume with the Ipad.  So powering the drives is not an issue.  My question relates to plugging a USB hub into the Ipad, and two drives into the hub.)

This is how I download photos on vacations, using a laptop.  So I download to two drives each time, and keep one G drive on my person, if I'm leaving my car, and one in the car.  So if a theft occurs, I have all my photos.  This also means I'm using two drives, in case one of the portable drives fails.

On a laptop with three USB ports, I just plug the two drives into two ports, and the card reader into the third port.  What I'd like to know is if this can be done on an Ipad 3 using a USB hub and the apple camera connector?

I have never used the operating system of a Mac, so also wonder if you can use the equivalent of file manager to look at the downloads on the two drives, and quickly compare the properties and total downloads to see that both drives received the same number of files.

Is the above possible on an Ipad 3?

With the exception of the HyperDrives, you can't attach standard hard drives to iPads.  iPad doesn't have a user-visible file system and it doesn't natively support USB host; it can only be a client. 

I don't see the new iPad features changing its usability for travel and storage.

Buy lots of CF cards instead of an iPad 3 (unless you want the iPad 3 for its fantastic screen.

marty m

• http://
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 10:45:40 pm »

With the exception of the HyperDrives, you can't attach standard hard drives to iPads.  iPad doesn't have a user-visible file system and it doesn't natively support USB host; it can only be a client.  

I don't see the new iPad features changing its usability for travel and storage.

Is the same true of all other tablets out there? I'd like to have a tablet to use for that purpose, for reading newspapers and reading web pages while at home, but be able to use it for photography on vacations.

If none of the tablets work for the simple purpose repeated below, then why would anyone write an article on using tablets for photography?  What am I missing?

Specifically, to repeat my question:

Can you attach a USB hub to any of the tablets?  

And be able to see the file structure to know that the files downloaded, and be able to create folders on the portable drives for the downloads?

If ANY of the tablets can do the above, which tablet do you recommend and why?

AND ONE OTHER (dumb) QUESTION -- a tablet like the Toshiba Thrive does have a full size and mini USB port.  One of the reviews on Amazon said that "Toshiba was smart enough to include a file manager that makes it super easy to move data or media between the tablet and SD card or external hard drive, etc" 

So I assume it might be able to meet my needs.  But I have one other question about these Android tablets.  Can you download and install windows software, like Photo Mechanic, to be able to use it download from the two drives simultaneously? Or is the only software that works with the Android operating system Android apps?

MANY THANKS for any responses
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 11:08:30 pm by marty m »

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 09:14:55 am »

None of the IOS devices can do that.  I wasn't aware of any Android tablets that do that, but the Toshiba Thrive you mentioned might be able to do it.  From the page on Toshiba's website, I can't really tell.  At this point, the best way to do what you want to do is with a full featured ultra book on Mac OS or a windows OS.  This would be something like a macbook pro or the Samsung Series 9.

You can only use android apps on an android device.  It doesn't support any cross platform environments like Java.

BJL

iOS targets wireless solutions; Windows 8 is likely to support USB more
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 10:07:06 am »

Some Windows 8 tablets are likely to offer such features, but the iOS philosophy is solidly aimed at enhancing wireless solutions and minimizing use of or support for cables and ports. FOr example, WiFi drives and AirPrint rather than a USB port, AirPlay not an HDMI port, using a WiFi-capable camera (or WiFi memory card in the camera) rather than built-in card readers ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up