Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GRAF Mini Studio Ball Head Question  (Read 2516 times)

Moosehead222

GRAF Mini Studio Ball Head Question
« on: February 22, 2012, 08:05:04 pm »

I wanted an upgrade for my light tripod so I picked up a used Mini Studio Ball head from KEH.   It is great for what I paid but my question is that it seems to have a safety feature that stops the clamp from opening past a point so you have to slide the camera Arca Swiss type camera in sidewise vs. from the top..   The larger Studio Ball does not function this way.      I may not be explaining this very well.   I hope you know what I mean.   

I am not too mechanically inclined or I could take it apart to see if I can adjust the stopping point.

I will definitely keep the head but I am use to being able to open up the head Arca Swiss clamp so I can quickly mount the camera, than tighten to lock it in.

Does anyone know if this can be adjusted or can anyone confirm this is just a safety feature that can not be changed.

Thank you.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: GRAF Mini Studio Ball Head Question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 10:25:47 pm »

Many years ago I ownedtwo Graf Studioball heads, one right after the other. I was very proud of them, real pride in ownership. The first one came apart within a year : the body of the beast got a little wobbly and then separated from the panning base. THe second one did the same  nine months later. It is buried in Mississippi river mud about fifty feet (maybe more)  beyond the minor league baseball stadium in Davenport, Iowa. I was in Davenport shooting an annual report. I replaced it with the head I should have bought in the first place: An Arca-Swiss B1 Monoball, sent via first morning priority delivery FedEx.

Hopefully the ones GRAF makes today are better built.

And hopefully you'll have better luck with yours than I did with mine.

Moosehead222

Re: GRAF Mini Studio Ball Head Question
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 05:47:09 am »

Interesting.   The large Studio Ball has been rock solid after many years.  I would probably not pick it again with all the nice options but it will last forever. I have wanted a good small head for many years for hiking, travel, etc. but hesitated to spend the $275 or so for the ones I wanted so it was just funny that I found the same Studio Ball... At $69 in excellent condition it made my day. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up