Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: photo locations in west Canada  (Read 7654 times)

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
photo locations in west Canada
« on: June 01, 2003, 01:50:37 pm »

All the Rockies parks are fine, but Banff and Jasper are by far the most stunning beautiful of them.  Allow plenty of time there.

I highly recommend a little book available in some of the visitor centers there, "Walks and Easy Hikes in the Canadian Rockies" by Graeme Pole.  The description of each walk has a photo, and notes what time of day the lighting is best at that location (in addition to a small map of the walk).  Invaluable for choosing locations and the right time of day!  (The author also has another book of longer hikes, but most of us wouldn't want to do those with a lot of camera gear...)

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Robert Roaldi

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 10:21:13 pm »

I have been there a couple of times. At the park entrances you will be able to pick up free trail guides and maps.

Excellent water repellent maps can be had from gemtrek (either gemtrek.com or gemtrek.ca) direct or in some map/book stores. I can't recommend these highly enough. They are primarily topographical trail maps although they also have some driving maps.

Ditto on Jasper and Banff. You didn't say how long your trip will be but we spent 12 days in Banff/Jasper on each of our two trips and plan to go back several more times.

BTW, September is a good time, the bulk of the insane tourist traffic is gone, although the hiking trails, even the short ones, are usually deserted. Most tourists stay close to the buses. Bring a lot of sweaters and dress in layers. The last time we were there it snowed in Lake Louise in the 2nd week of Sept.

If you drive between Banff and Lake Louise take the scenic route choice, not the main highway. Visit Johnson Canyon.

Allow a day to drive from Banff to Jasper. You can drive the distance in 2.5 hours but that's missing the point. Too many photo ops to count.

Mt Edith Cavell can be a cold drive and hike, but worth it, just south of Jasper.

Check out "http://www.parkscanada.gc.ca/" for up to the minute trail conditions. Check with local rangers before heading out on a hike.

If you don't mind stenuous walks, climb up Parker Ridge on the Icefields Parkway, about 8 km south of the Columbia Icefields Museum and rest stop. Go all the way to the back side of the ridge when you reach the top. Bring hats and gloves for that climb. About a 2 hour climb; only 45 minutes to go back down though.

When in Lake Louise hike to the Lake Agnes tea house. It took us 2.5 hours but we're out of shape. Again, about 45 minutes down.

That's all I can think of for now.

Robert Roaldi

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 10:52:40 pm »

I just re-read my post above and in a couple of places I should have written Lake Louise rather than Banff, as we stayed longer in LL than in Banff. We found LL more interesting than Banff.

If you plan on going to Edmonton, drive via the Jasper-Hinton route. Just west of Hinton there is a sign on the main highway for  the turn-off for the Athabasca Lookout. It is on highway 40, I think and is only about 10-15 minutes north of the main highway. The lookout is just past a ranger tower. Worth a stop. If you manage to go after sunrise you'll get the sun shining on the east face of the Rockies.

lexvo

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2003, 09:19:43 am »

Thanks again Robert.

Luckily, I have a 24mm. I bought it in Seattle, at the start of my first trip in this area (in 1990). It's very useful for landscapes.
Lex van Oorspronk

lexvo

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2003, 10:40:52 am »

Stu: thanks, I will check that out.

Peter: thanks for the route suggestions. I think it will fit in our plans.
Lex van Oorspronk

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2003, 07:03:53 pm »

Don't pass up the Kootenay's, east of the Canadian Rockies. Visit the towns of Revelstoke and Nelson (Nelson is the best small city in the world!).
Heh.  Nelson's an hour-long motorcycle ride from here over an amazing road - Canada's highest continuously-open mountain pass.  

The Kootenays do indeed rule.  I moved here three years ago after a lifetime in Vancouver.

razvan

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2003, 04:39:55 am »

hi!
I cycled from Calgary to San Diego and to me the most beautiful area was National Glacier Park, Revelstoke and Yoho. On the same token, the most spectacular road in northern US has to be the route 20 - National Glacier Park (you will pass through real cowboy towns and all the way to Washington Pass then descend to Pacific into the Olympic Peninsula - which in my opinion was the highlight of my trip).

if you need more precise locations let me know and I'd be happy to help.

raz

check out some photos:
http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=68948
My Webpage

lexvo

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2003, 06:02:17 am »

My wife and I are planning a trip to west Canada coming september. The route we'll take will be something like Vancouver - Glacier NP - Banff - Calgary - Jasper - Mt Robson - maybe Edmonton - Vancouver. I think we will visit some Provincial parks as well.

I've been in this area for about a week in 1990 but I can't remember much from it.

My question: do you have any tips of places that are a must see? I'm especially interested in photo-locations (of course must-see places and good photo-locations will mostly be the same  ).

Thanks very much in advance.
Lex van Oorspronk

lexvo

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2003, 03:55:43 pm »

Thanks Lisa!

I sure will get the book you mentioned. That kind of information (which spots and the best time of day to visit them) is just what I am looking for. Thanks again.
Lex van Oorspronk

lexvo

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2003, 03:07:59 am »

Thanks Robert.

We will stay for about 3 weeks. I hope we will have nice weather. When I visited this area in 1990 (also in september) we had most sunny days and temperatures around 20 degrees Celsius (68 degrees Fahrenheit if I'm right); at night it was sometimes getting cold though.
Lex van Oorspronk

Robert Roaldi

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2003, 07:21:03 am »

Sorry, a couple of more things I just thought of.

I really regretted not having a 24mm lens when I went out west.

The Station Restaurant in Lake Louise is really good. It is housed in the old train station, surrounded by mountains, and if you're lucky you'll see the Rocky Mountaineer tour train go by.

scubastu

• www.final-frame.com
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2003, 04:28:03 pm »

Hi Lex,

There's some great photo ops in Vancouver, be it city or landscape.  You can check out my website @

www.final-frame.com and click on my name "Stewart Sy" for links to photos taken locally.

Stu

Peter McLennan

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2003, 08:53:57 pm »

If you have three weeks, it'd be a shame to miss Waterton-Glacier National Park.  Extreme southwestern Alberta is heartbreakingly beautiful, combining wide open spaces AND The Mountains.  

The drive south to Waterton through Pincher Creek on AB 6 is great.  Do it early (dawn) for a great sunrise on the Border Range to the west.

Immediately north of the Crownsest Pass Highway is the "Cowboy Highway", AB 22.  It runs north-south paralleling the easternmost front of the Rocky Mountains and is another great drive.  It links to the Banff area via AB 40 and AB 541 via Kananaskis Country and Longview, AB.  A less-travelled but spectacular piece of road.

If you drive from Vancouver to the Banff area, avoid the Trans Canada Highway and take BC 3, the Crowsnest Highway, also known as the Southern Transprovincial Highway.   It's far more varied than the Trans Canada, much better scenery and less traffic.  Turn north towards Banff/Jasper at Cranbrook, BC.

There are other, more adventurous routes through BC, too.  Trouble is, you might fall in love with BC and never make it to Alberta!  : )

happy holidays!

Peter

sbalsen

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2003, 01:41:04 pm »

Don't pass up the Kootenay's, east of the Canadian Rockies. Visit the towns of Revelstoke and Nelson (Nelson is the best small city in the world!). Wonderful people and GORGEOUS scenery all around you without the crowds.

lexvo

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2003, 05:39:46 am »

Sbalsen and Peter: thanks for the info. I'm sure we will visit Kootenay.
Lex van Oorspronk
Pages: [1]   Go Up