Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3880 Custom paper size question  (Read 4107 times)

WallyM

Epson 3880 Custom paper size question
« on: February 22, 2012, 03:08:03 am »

I'm considering buying an Epson 3880 printer, and I have a question about custom paper size settings.  When setting up a custom paper size, is it possible to specify the paper source/path?  My R2400 does not provide the ability to specify paper path on custom sizes, so I don't have the ability to feed custom sizes through the front manual slot.  Only Epson's predefined paper sizes can be chosen for manual feed.  That means odd-size card stock can be a problem because, depending on thickness, it may or may not feed from the top feed tray.  The 3880 looks like it has much more paper handling versatility, but the Epson manual implies only standard sizes can be fed through the rear manual slot.

Thanks,
Wally

pflower

Re: Epson 3880 Custom paper size question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 05:51:20 am »

I regularly print on custom paper sizes 17x24 through the rear slot.  I print only now from Lightroom.  I don't think you can specify the source when you set up a custom paper size, nor when you choose it from the Page Setup menu but the Print Settings dialog allows a choice of the front, rear and sheet feeder.  Never been able to get the sheet feeder to work properly on even A2 so always use the rear slot. 

Mind you, there have been a number of posts about some problems (or features) with the most recent drivers for the 3880 - in particular how they treat ABW.  I am still using the original driver that I installed when I bought the printer and have no problems.  But perhaps someone who has installed the most recent driver can confirm that in this respect it works the same way.

howardm

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 07:45:09 am »

I think there is a sensor that detects when you've inserted a sheet in the rear feeder.  you just have to push the paper down a bit until it's grabbed/detected.  You can't specify that in custom page setup

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:56:02 am »

I think there is a sensor that detects when you've inserted a sheet in the rear feeder.  you just have to push the paper down a bit until it's grabbed/detected.  You can't specify that in custom page setup
I don't think this is the case.  The Epson 'Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster' setting is set for the sheet feeder as the Epson paper that it is designed for is of smaller thickness and lighter weight than some of the other third party papers for this setting.  I use UPPPL for Ilford Gold Fiber Silk and simply create a pre-set in the Epson driver that overrides the sheet feeder so that I can use the rear feeder.  The one difference is for 'Fine Art Papers' where the sheet feeder is unavailable for use from the driver.  What ever pre-set you establish in the print driver is recognized by a LR pre-set.

WallyM

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 04:09:05 am »

Thanks folks, that helps.

Wally
Pages: [1]   Go Up