Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: He loves me, he loves me not...  (Read 2571 times)

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
He loves me, he loves me not...
« on: February 21, 2012, 03:30:41 pm »

M8 + C Sonnar 1.5/50
Capture One 6

1/60sec f1.5 ISO 640 (at night)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: He loves me, he loves me not...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 04:40:18 pm »

And what was the final answer?  Enquiring minds want to know.

Nice work, BTW!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 02:28:20 am »

And what was the final answer?
We will never know...

Thank you Mike for your comment.

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 03:31:35 am »

We will never know what...?
The aswer. If he loves her or not.

francois

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 03:49:40 am »

Superb!
Francois

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 04:41:03 am »

I like the mood, but technically speaking, it's one of those situations where I  believe that the D700 with the 1.8/50 Nikkor would have given a better shot of the same thing, even if cropping was necessary to get there.

Maybe that underlines a Leica flaw: electronic technology that never quite seems up to speed?

Rob C

jalcocer

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 09:11:59 am »

nice shots Roberto, the second one for me shows her more into what she's doing, and a beautiful lady by the way.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 01:28:34 pm »

Cute girl. I hope he loves her. Shame on him if he doesn't.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 03:40:00 pm »

Thank you Francois, Rob C, jalcocer and Russ.

...technically speaking, it's one of those situations where I  believe that the D700 with the 1.8/50 Nikkor would have given a better shot of the same thing, even if cropping was necessary to get there.
Maybe that underlines a Leica flaw: electronic technology that never quite seems up to speed?
Well, yes, you could be right. But, you know, my M8 is a 2006 camera with an APS-H sensor and some limitation (such as ISO range, no stabilization systems or autofocus, etc.).
I think it could be compared to Canon 50D/5D or Nikon D200 in image quality.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 03:44:47 pm by Roberto Frieri »

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 04:21:42 pm »

Thank you Francois, Rob C, jalcocer and Russ.
Well, yes, you could be right. But, you know, my M8 is a 2006 camera with an APS-H sensor and some limitation (such as ISO range, no stabilization systems or autofocus, etc.).
I think it could be compared to Canon 50D/5D or Nikon D200 in image quality.

Don't know about the D200; I still have mine, mainly because I can't sell it for a decent price, but since buying the D700 I've never wanted to use it except in extremis to extend the longest lens a little bit, accepting the lower quality sensor as a fact of life. It's very sharp, but I'm no longer sold on the colours.

I'm glad you didn't take my post the wrong way - you shots are very nice and I see echoes of a lot of old/dead men I admire. But the sensor is the problem because it doesn't really take you anywhere beyond the capability of the film Leicas in their day. The better Nikons can go up in the 6000 ISO zone and still return good work, and that's mainly reflected in the usability of the higher shutter speeds, and you can still use the diaphragm for its own effect! My choice, then, as it would have been with your petal girl, would be the auto-ISO setting which really does deliver what it says in the book!

Ciao -

Rob C

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 10:49:21 am »

I really like the second photo, I can almost "feel" her thoughts.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 03:47:20 pm »

Hi Riaan,

I definitely like the second shot, you can really see her thinking, although I think the crop is a little too tight, but then again I could also argue it is not tight enough. I would have stepped back a bit to allow some working room around her for the first shot and then moved in close for a second more intimate composition.

The last little nit-pick might be to mention in image 1, that you have cropped her leg through the ankle joint. I was told by the old guy at the club I used to go to (who passed away a few weeks ago unfortunately), that you should never crop through a joint.

#2 is still a nice shot though, just a little too tight/loose on the crop for me, but I definitely like the way you work your B/W images.

Dave

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 03:55:59 pm »

Hi Riaan,

I definitely like the second shot, you can really see her thinking, although I think the crop is a little too tight, but then again I could also argue it is not tight enough. I would have stepped back a bit to allow some working room around her for the first shot and then moved in close for a second more intimate composition.

The last little nit-pick might be to mention in image 1, that you have cropped her leg through the ankle joint. I was told by the old guy at the club I used to go to (who passed away a few weeks ago unfortunately), that you should never crop through a joint.#2 is still a nice shot though, just a little too tight/loose on the crop for me, but I definitely like the way you work your B/W images.

Dave

Was he a relative of Timothy Leary?

Rob C

jalcocer

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 05:08:32 pm »

I don't think the crop is to tight, I like #2 the way it is. I like it more and more every time I look at the shot. I think I'm falling in love with her :)

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 10:18:08 am »

...The last little nit-pick might be to mention in image 1, that you have cropped her leg through the ankle joint. I was told by the old guy at the club I used to go to (who passed away a few weeks ago unfortunately), that you should never crop through a joint.

Hi Dave,
I could say that it's probably a prerogative of the rangefinder shooters "to cut heads & feet" due to the sistem we use to compose the picture looking throught the separate viewfinder with indefinite borders.

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 10:20:58 am »

... I think I'm falling in love with her :)
Wow, that's a great result for me as a self-taught photographer.  :)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 04:46:48 pm »

Hi Dave,
I could say that it's probably a prerogative of the rangefinder shooters "to cut heads & feet" due to the sistem we use to compose the picture looking throught the separate viewfinder with indefinite borders.

Ah, I never thought of that.  :)

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up