Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Acronis users?  (Read 5132 times)

andyptak

Any Acronis users?
« on: February 21, 2012, 01:20:00 pm »

I'm having trouble cloning my drive with Acronis. I get a message saying that the task has failed about 30 seconds after I start it - and that's it, no explanation etc.

I'm trying to clone my OS drive to a portable one via USB. I've tried three different drives of different size and all get the same message.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Farmer

Re: Any Acronis users?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 05:52:05 pm »

Which OS?  How are the two drives formatted and what capacity?  Which version of Acronis?  Have you contacted Acronis for support?
Phil Brown

andyptak

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 06:10:09 pm »

Windows 7. My C drive is a 250 gig SSD and I'm trying to clone it to a 350 and 500 gig portable Seagates and get the same error message on both. I already had it cloned once but I've added a lot of software since and wanted a more current version. Now I have no cloned version at all!

Acronis are giving themselves 3 days for a response. I'd like to be done before that if I could.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 06:15:48 pm »

Use Casper 7.0. I gave up on Acronis.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Farmer

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 07:10:23 pm »

Hmmm, nothing jumps out as being a problem with that setup.

I've moved away from Acronis myself (used to use it with XP) and now I use EASEUS_Disk_Copy which is just awesome.  It's also free.
Phil Brown

K.C.

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 03:26:14 am »

I'm an IT manager and responsible for a lot of backups/clones. I use Acronis and have never had a problem.

Are you letting it partition the external to match the partition of the source drive ?

andyptak

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 08:03:45 am »

@K.C. - Yep. I'm using the automatic feature rather than the manual and letting Acronis decide what it needs and agreeing with all of the suggestions.

I've never had this happen before and until now have been a satisfied Acronis user. All I get is a box that says that the cloning operation has failed, about 20-30 seconds after it starts. There's no explanation or suggestion of what is wrong, which seems to be a flaw to me.

I don't like doing just a backup of my C drive because I've found, on various products, I end up with data that is in a proprietary format or otherwise not immediately usable. What I'm trying to create is an exact replica and up until now I've had no problem.

I'm truly stumped.

Pete_G

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 10:26:44 am »

Can you not use Win 7's built in drive imaging utility? I haven't used it but others say it works fine. Acronis always works for me but I haven't tried it on an SSD drive.

Doug Fisher

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 10:42:20 am »

FWIW, I had this problem with Acronis pop up after I had done a computer cleaning and had gone into msconfig and disabled some startup programs that looked like they were bloatware.  One didn't appear to be an Acronis file but it was.  Once I allowed those programs to start again on startup and thus run in the background, Acronis worked fine again.

Doug

Pete_G

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 08:16:12 am »

I've always run Acronis from a boot disk anyway, which reduces these kind of problems.

Acronis Support

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 05:21:10 am »

Hello andyptak,

I'd like to help you with this issue. My name is Anton and I'm writing you on behalf of Acronis Customer Central.

Could you clone your disk using the bootable media, please check this article from our Knowledge Base for instructions.

Is it possible for you to get back to me with your case number so that I can provide you with additional assistance if necessary.

Please let me know if I can assist you with anything else today.

Best regards,
Anton Deev
Acronis Customer Central

andyptak

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 08:56:32 am »

Thanks Anton.

Yes, I have tried from a boot - still fails.

Can you contact me directly and we'll take it from there?

andy (at) andrewptak (dot) com.

Thanks

Acronis Support

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 12:40:25 am »

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the update, I contacted you by e-mail.

Best regards,
Anton Deev
Acronis Customer Central

AlexSchwarz

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 07:53:28 am »

Hi Andy,

I just had a similar problem.
It has nothing to do with Acronis itself but with the system services of Win7.
In order to get longer life out of the ssd the recommendation is to deactivate the defragmentation services, but in order to clone the drive with Acronis or shrink a volume in windows you need this service.

I had to manualy activate the system service (device manager-services- defragmentation service - properties -launch auto).
After restarting I could clone the drive without a problem.

Hope that helps

Cheers,
Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up