Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to "unstick" settings in adjustment brush/gradient filter  (Read 2821 times)

pflower

How to "unstick" settings in adjustment brush/gradient filter
« on: February 21, 2012, 01:14:57 pm »

This is beginning to annoy me.  Whenever I choose the adjustment brush or gradient filter (which is a lot) it automatically comes up with a "custom" setting and I am confronted with a range of settings which I must have used at some point in the past but which include the clarity slider set to -100 and the saturation to +30.  99% of the use for these tools is in adjusting exposure alone and being lazy it is a bore to have to reset the clarity and saturation to 0 each time.  The settings clearly don't remember (and thus bring up) the last adjustments made, but I can't find out how to "clear" them and at least go back to something relatively straightforward.

Does anyone know (and would thus explain to me) where the settings used in the "custom" mode of the brushes come from and how to change them?

Thanks

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: How to "unstick" settings in adjustment brush/gradient filter
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 01:37:21 pm »

They are sticky as you've found out. If you want to make a specific adjustment, I would simply use the Effect drop down menu to select the effect you want. You can also create your own custom set of settings and save is as a custom effect.

Matthew Wilks

• Crystal City Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 04:03:57 pm »

You need to select the brush or gradient filter, then zero everything, then apply the brush/gradient, then close the tool.  The new "default" will be everything set to zero.  The next time you select the tool it will have the settings set to zero.

If you select the tool then adjust the sliders prior to applying the tool, that will reset the "default" to those settings.  What I have done is open the brush tool, set the exposure slider to +1.00, then closed the brush.  Now when I select the brush I paint it on my image prior to making any adjustments in the sliders.  After applying the brush to the image I then adjust the sliders to my liking, then close the brush tool.  The next time I select the brush tool it is still set to Exposure +1.00.  That way every time I open the brush it has the same Exposure +1.00 setting.  This allows me to see where I have applied the brush while I'm applying it.  If, however, I inadvertently, change the brush settings before I use the tool on the image then those settings became the "default." So I just repeat the original process and everything is back the way I like it.
Matthew

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 04:56:19 pm »

If you want the defaults all to 0, just click the graduated filter tool or the adjustment brush and double click any of the labels that are not 0 before you click in the image to make the adjustment.  As mentioned, having some adjustment makes it much easier to see what you are doing, even if that's not the adjustment you are trying to make.  If you want to add clarity or saturation to a part of an image, it's easier to use an exaggerated setting of exposure to paint the area you want to make the adjustment, then 0 that out and apply the actual adjustment to taste.

I also have the default for my graduated filters at +4.  When I create a new filter, I can more easily see the transition area and can position the filter easier.  I then double click on Exposure which resets it to 0, then make the adjustments I want.  Sometimes I do the same thing for an adjustment brush as a preliminary step then adjusting and often switching on the mask to see where the brush is being applied.

When you select the graduated filter tool, and make any adjustments before you click ink the image, that sets the default.  If you click new it returns to those defaults.  If you hit escape, deselecting a filter it also resets it and you can just click in the image to add another filter.
However, if you select a graduated filter by clicking the pin, make adjustments to that, and you simply click somewhere else in the image to add another graduated filter, the new filter will start at the settings of the previously selected filter, not at the defaults for a new filter.  (which of course doesn't work with an adjustment brush because clicking somewhere just adds to the current brush so you have to deselect it to add another brush).

I did a little video for my customers about the graduated filter tool if you are interested.

Rand47

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 06:50:50 pm »

Put all the sliders at NULL.  Create a custom preset and name it AAA.  It will always be the first one in the preset list.
That way with one click you can set everything to NULL quickly.

Rand Scott Adams

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 02:09:11 am »

As with other groups of Lightroom tools, if you hold down the Alt/Opt key when you have the brush or gradient tool open the Effect: at the top left turns into a Reset button. Press Alt/Reset and it will zero all of the sliders.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

pflower

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 06:54:11 am »

Thanks for that.  As always the simplest solutions are often the best.  Works just how I want it.

Put all the sliders at NULL.  Create a custom preset and name it AAA.  It will always be the first one in the preset list.
That way with one click you can set everything to NULL quickly.

Rand47

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 10:58:24 am »

Thanks for that.  As always the simplest solutions are often the best.  Works just how I want it.

You're welcome - but I think the alt/option + effect_reset is perhaps even better!  I didn't realize it worked with the adjustment tools, too.   Thanks, Mike!

Rand Scott Adams

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 03:43:59 pm »

" If you want the defaults all to 0, just click the graduated filter tool or the adjustment brush and double click any of the labels that are not 0 before you click in the image to make the adjustment"

Or just double click the "Effects" button to reset all the sliders to zero. It is always good to discover how many ways there are to skin a cat(fish, as Mr S. pointed out in one of the two bearded men videos) in Lightroom.
Ken Cameron

Matthew Wilks

• Crystal City Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 04:08:41 pm »

Or just double click the "Effects" button to reset all the sliders to zero.

That's really useful.  I didn't know that one.  Thanks.
Matthew
Pages: [1]   Go Up