Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggested Coatings for Canvas Prints  (Read 4864 times)

hdomke

• www.henrydomke.com
Suggested Coatings for Canvas Prints
« on: February 20, 2012, 09:45:02 am »

What coating would you suggest using on Exhibition Canvas Matte?
My goal is abrasion resistance. I do not like a glossy look.
I hang the canvas in a large ventilated spray booth. I apply the spray with
an HVLP Gun.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this!
Henry
Henry

Henry Domke Fine Art

howardm

Re: Suggested Coatings for Canvas Prints
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 09:58:33 am »

people seem to really like breathingcolor.com  products like their Glamour or Timeless varnish

http://www.breathingcolor.com/action/bc_shop/76/

milt

• Striking & Distinctive Custom Photographic Prints
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 05:35:08 pm »

I've used a lot of Glamour II from Breathing Color.  I put on two coats (I use a roller, not a sprayer).

I do have one dramatic example of its durability.  An improperly fastened image of mine on display at a gallery came off the wall because of a slammed door and fell about 6 feet, striking the corner of something hard enough to put a visible indentation in the stretched canvas.  There was a little damage to the ink layer, but it was very small, much smaller than the indentation.

Try their matte version if you dislike gloss.  I use 50% matte, 50% gloss.

--Milt--
Los Gatos, California | http://miltonbarber.com

plui

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 06:06:50 pm »

Hi Henry, I picked up 3 rolls of Epson Exhibition Canvas Matte during pmsi's end of year inventory sale. I haven't printed anything with the new canvas (yet) but will probably follow Dano Steinhardt's guidelines... The actual coating product I'll use is the satin version of IJ Technologies Black Diamond Eclipse Finishing Solution which I still have from last year. It wasn't cheap at all, but I was able to get it shipped at the same time as I ordered their 64 inch canvas, so it saved me a trip to my US mailbox (Im in Vancouver BC).  It's pretty easy to work with using Wagner ControlMax.  My framer suggested that I'm laying it on too thick but I'm happy with the look and feel of the finished product. I'll look at Glamour II or maybe something from Lexjet when I need to replenish.

Here's Dano's post fyi..

With the recent posts regarding the Epson Exhibition Canvas family, I thought many here would be interested in some recommendations and answers to repeating questions.

I’m with Epson America and will try not to sound too much like “the marketing guy”….

With that said, in the past few years I’ve printed almost every print on display at Epson’s photographic trade shows in the United States, and have real world hands-on experience with printing on all the Signature Worthy branded papers on a variety of Epson printers.  So I’ve made all the mistakes that you can learn from  :)

The following is specific to the Epson Exhibition Canvas family and not to older Epson branded products or different Epson branded products that might be found outside of North America.

I will try to stay in summary mode and it’s easiest to think in a backwards workflow starting with top-coating.

Coating Epson Exhibition Canvas
If using MK ink, a top-coat should be used.
If using PK ink, a top-coat is often not required.

Most (not all) canvas is stretched and then displayed/exposed to the elements.  Without a top-coat, a MK printed canvas may be damaged by a variety of sources from fingerprints to sneezes.  If behind glass, those fingerprints and sneezes are not an issue, but most (not all) canvas is not displayed behind glass.  Canvas produced with PK ink is more durable than with MK ink, and in many cases does not require top-coating for handling. 

Brushing, Rolling and Spraying Epson Exhibition Canvas
Exhibition Canvas Matte: A top-coat can be applied by either brushing, rolling or spraying.  Wait 48 hours in a temperature and RH controlled environment before top-coating. 

Exhibition Canvas Satin: If top-coating, it should be applied by spraying. Wait 48 hours in a temperature and RH controlled environment before top-coating.  Some have success rolling a top-coat, but more report ink collection on the roller and thus the recommendation to spray.

Exhibition Canvas Gloss: If top-coating, it should be applied by spraying.  Wait 48 hours in a temperature and RH controlled environment before top-coating.  Some have success rolling a top-coat, but more report ink collection on the roller and thus the recommendation to spray.

MK or PK , Why Are There Profiles for Both with Satin?
Exhibition Canvas Matte: Only MK profiles are posted because only MK ink will work.

Exhibition Canvas Satin: MK and PK profiles are posted.  MK can yield slightly better DMax, but in most cases requires top-coating.  PK still produces excellent quality, and in most cases does not require top-coating.

Exhibition Canvas Gloss: Only PK profiles are posted.  MK will work but there is little quality benefit compared to PK.  And in most cases, PK does not require top-coating.

Why 3 Canvases?
Exhibition Canvas Matte: It’s less expensive than Satin and Gloss and via top-coating, one can make a Matte, Satin or Gloss finish.  Of the three canvases in the family, Exhibition Canvas Matte can be top-coated by either rolling, brushing or spraying.

Exhibition Canvas Satin: It’s more expensive than Matte, but in many cases does not require top-coating and has a Satin/Semigloss finish.

Exhibition Canvas Gloss: Its more expensive than Matte, but in many cases does not require top-coating and has a glossier finish.

Driver Settings for Epson Printers (4900, 7890, 7900, 9890, 9900)
Exhibition Canvas Matte with MK Ink:
Use the latest driver
Use Watercolor Radiant White as the Media Type

Exhibition Canvas Satin with MK Ink:
Use the latest driver
Use Watercolor Radiant White as the Media Type

Exhibition Canvas Satin with PK Ink:
Use the latest driver
Use Premium Luster Photo Paper (260) as the Media Type
Adjust color density to -6%

Exhibition Canvas Gloss with PK Ink:
Use the latest driver
Use Premium Luster Photo Paper (260) as the Media Type
Adjust color density to -13%

Do not set the Media Type to “Canvas.”  Be sure to adjust color density under Advanced Settings if recommended in the PDF posted with each profile.

Dan (Dano) Steinhardt
Marketing Manager, Professional Imaging
Epson America, Inc.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 06:20:26 pm »

Henry

If you don't want the glossy look, then you can mix Timeless satin and glossy or use Timeless matte.  All from
Breathing color.  You will have to work a while to find a blend you like.   

Timeless to me is by far the best looking gloss I have used and used Glamour II for years.   I spray HLVP and Timeless
to me is just faster all round.  Drys much faster and to me has a stronger finish. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up