Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4900 or ???  (Read 5956 times)

Farmer

Re: 4900 or ???
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 04:13:11 pm »

I wouldn't be tipping the printer more than a few degrees - I reckon you could safely do it enough to navigate a 30" door but no more.

That said, the printer is closer to 30.5" which might make enough of a difference.  In the US, it seems that 30" and 32" are the standard sizes with 32" being the ADA recommendation (American Disability Association).

If you're talking about moving it in and out of commercial properties you could have any size door, but the more modern the building the more likely it will be wider.

Regarding transport - I'd highly recommend boxing and proper packaging for frequent or extended transport.  A flight might seem like a more extreme movement than by car, but you can bet they're properly packed for air shipment and most of the time the ride is probably smoother than some roads.

A proper box also helps to reduce dust and other issues (blankets present fibres, static and other things to be avoided, imho).  I also wouldn't leave it in a car in high temperatures once there's ink in the line (remember, temperatures in cars can soar with even just a little direct sunlight).
Phil Brown

tsjanik

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 04:43:41 pm »

How does it go through a normal-width door with the roll holder on? I don't think most doors are 31 inches wide (some are 26", others 30"... Can it withstand enough tipping (loaded with ink) to get it through a 26" door without spilling ink?
    I'm really not interested in the 3880 - expensive sheet paper (tough to print 16x24 - 17x25 sheets are both very expensive and hard to find), last-generation inks and heads and it's only about $200 cheaper than the best deal I can find on the 4900 with rebates (plus the ink is nearly twice as expensive as the 4990's per ml).
    I'll measure some doors, and if the 4900 is too big to fit, I'll just go with some 13" printer for much less money until I am settled enough for a 24" model.
Dan:

I had to tilt my 4900 briefly to pass through two doorways. You should check with Epson about moving a printer with ink, but since they are shipping them fully charged, I wasn't concerned about the journey from my garage up the stairs.

Tom

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 05:08:10 pm »

Where are they shipping them fully charged? Here in Canada new printers ship completely dry with no cartridges inserted. I had do all that in the initial set-up. Are you talking about buying a refurb from them?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

tsjanik

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 06:37:55 pm »

Mark:

My new 4900 arrived in September with no ink installed.  When I was unable to clear the VLM and LC nozzles, Epson sent the replacement which is a refurbished model.  If you check the 4900 5 clogged nozzles thread you can infer that Epson was shipping uncharged replacement printers but then decided to test each printer before shipment.  Mine arrived with a dated and signed nozzle print taped to the tray.  The printers ship from Indiana; interestingly, return address stickers for United States and Canada were included.

Tom

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 10:23:07 pm »

And it's working OK?

tsjanik

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2012, 10:59:56 pm »

So far perfectly.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2012, 11:03:40 pm »

Great - that's re-assuring.

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 01:40:53 pm »

Dan, you mentioned back seat of a car or the trunk (rather than a truck).  Without going to my tape measure, I think you'd have a very hard time fitting this beastie into the back seat of a regular car (maybe one of those roomy town cars?).  Also, I would much rather move it in the bed of a pick-up, rather than lower it into and hoist it out of a trunk.  You will have an easier time if you can keep it at waist level, and not have to bend  (squat) to lower and raise it.  Be nice to your back, and to the second person whom you definitely need for this.  --Barbara
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up