Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keeping DNG Profiles...  (Read 2189 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Keeping DNG Profiles...
« on: February 17, 2012, 08:00:46 am »

When you create a DNG profile (CC Passport), lets say one created for a specific job, and you've applied the profile to all your images, do you need to keep that profile in you list.  In other words, if you delete that profile, are you also deleting the profile from you images?
Mike Guilbault

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Keeping DNG Profiles...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 01:39:19 pm »

When you create a DNG profile (CC Passport), lets say one created for a specific job, and you've applied the profile to all your images, do you need to keep that profile in you list.  In other words, if you delete that profile, are you also deleting the profile from you images?

If the images are DNGs, then you can write the profile into the DNG. You can't write the profile into the .xmp file of a proprietary raw file. If you delete the profile, a proprietary raw file will default back to Adobe Standard. Also note that if you do embed them into a DNG file, there's currently no way to remove those profiles. You can change the profiles but you can't un-embed them.

This is one of the reasons it's not a really great idea to spawn off a ton of DNG profiles unless you plan on keeping them long term.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 08:05:04 am »

So if you change the profile but can't un-embed them, does the DNG 'collect' them but simply uses the latest one applied?  All I use is DNG, and sometimes I'll check different profiles to see the different renderings.  At what point is the profile written to the DNG?
Mike Guilbault

Schewe

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 04:00:40 pm »

Depends....from Lightroom or Camera Raw? LR won't embed the profile in a DNG unless you explicitly do a Save Metadata command to a DNG. LR's metadata is normally only stored in the database, not inside the DNG. In the case of ACR, I'm pretty sure the DNG profile gets embedded when you either go ahead and open the DNG into Photoshop or click Done.

And yes, the DNG can accumulate multiple custom DNG profiles. As far as switching, going to any of the Adobe provided profiles won't embed them (as far as I know) only those that are not default.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 11:36:44 pm »

So (in Lightroom) if you have "Automatically write changes into XMP" checked off in Catalog Preferences, that won't save the Metadata to a DNG? 
I believe it's a <CMD>-S to "Save metadata to file".  I suppose after you're done editing you could select all the images and Save Metadata. 
Mike Guilbault

Schewe

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 11:54:23 pm »

So (in Lightroom) if you have "Automatically write changes into XMP" checked off in Catalog Preferences, that won't save the Metadata to a DNG? 

Pretty sure that's correct...

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 10:44:10 am »

I'll start using the <CMD>S then to save the metadata.  Thanks Jeff
Mike Guilbault
Pages: [1]   Go Up