Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colormunki Photo vs i1 Display Pro  (Read 3805 times)

bumwau

Colormunki Photo vs i1 Display Pro
« on: February 16, 2012, 07:47:17 pm »

Hi guys. Would like to hear your thoughts on the two. I know the Colormunki is a spectrophotometer and so also has the ability to create printer profiles.

But as a monitor calibrator, which of the two is better and by how much. i ask because of the Colormunki does a very decent job then I would like versatility of a spectro but if the i1 display pro is a extremely superior calibrator then ill choose that.

Also, printer profiles by colormunki, are they easily compatible with Adobe PS and LR?

Hope to hear from you guys

-bumwau

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Colormunki Photo vs i1 Display Pro
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:04:57 pm »

The Munki will do a fine job of calibrating a display and is supported in NEC products too. If you want to make printer profiles, that solves the problem of which to pick.

The i1DPro is state of the art, it by design is going to be a better product for display calibration (Colorimeters are better at reading darker emissive colors). You want a multitasker? Go Munki. It will still do a very respectable job on the display but not to the level of the i1Display Pro.

Printer profiles built by Munki can be used in LR or Photoshop.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

bumwau

Re: Colormunki Photo vs i1 Display Pro
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 08:23:59 pm »

Thanks! That was a very straightforward and informative response!

But I do have a new question. I do know colorimeters are better but this case how much better is the i1 display pro over the Colormunki.

I should describe my situation and status:
- Enthusiast photographer wanting to heavily improve post-processing work and graphics work
- Monitor will be a Dell U2412M for now with intention of upgrading to a NEC PA or maybe Eizo
- Will start printing more from my Canon iP4300 (pretty old...) with intention of buying a more pro printer 3-5 yeras down the track should all this pick up.

With my average equipment (the Dell and Canon printer) do you think i'll get more out of the i1 Display rite alone (Assuming the Dell will be calibrated by i1 Display>> Colormunki) or will the calibration and printer profiling by the Colormunki (Assuming the ip4300 isn't too noob for a Colormunki to make much difference) be greater?
Pages: [1]   Go Up