Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High volume slide scanner  (Read 6988 times)

JonathanBenoit

High volume slide scanner
« on: February 16, 2012, 06:12:29 pm »

Hi.
I have around 20,000 slides that need to be scanned. Is there an affordable scanner out there, or one that can be rented, that will get the job done within 2 months of work? The images will never be used for larger than 8x10 print. To be honest, they will probably only be used for archival reference. Cost is somewhat an issue. Correct file naming will probably be a problem if the work is done externally.

I figured this was the best way to get an accurate answer.

Thanks

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: High volume slide scanner
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 07:28:47 pm »

That works out to about 41 scans an hour over 60 days...not a workload I would want.

Simple answer, no, there isn't a reasonable high volume method of doing that quantity of scans in that time frame. You can get fast (batch scanning on a flat bed scanner) or quality (drum or Imacon/Hasselblad scanners) but not high quality, high volume. There used to be the ability to do Photo CD scans via a Kodak scan station but that's gone.

There may be services that might be able to handle the quantity but the time frame is tough and that would involve sending originals for scanning–a scary thought.

I think you'll need to re-evaluate your expectations and time frame.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 08:01:39 pm »

scancafe.com frequently has discounts that get their lower res slide scans down pretty cheap.  You send them the whole lot and then review - you can delete up to 20% of the crap ones from the order during the review an not pay for them.  It's a pretty good service. 

Last year I used my MFDB with a macro lens set up over a bowens Illumitran that I bought on ebay for $100 and shot frames of each slide which went very fast - the detail and file size is quite good but I had a tough time color correcting some of them that had faded.   I think you could shoot about 1000/day pretty easily this way but what a chore!
Rolleiflex USA

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 06:42:33 am »

I have both the epson 700 flatbed. Also I do have the ability to shoot the slides at 1:1 with a canon 5d and 100mm macro on a GTI light table. I have interns at my disposal, so it sounds like using the copy stand approach might be best. I'm worried about sending them out. Not sure how scancafe would label this scans. They are very specific photographs, so generic file naming wont work.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 03:15:49 am »

How's that saying go...? "There are three kinds of jobs: good, cheap and fast.  Pick two."

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 04:21:17 am »

Hi,

There is a scanner that can scan a tray of transparencies at a time.

https://reflecta.de/en/products/detail/~id.477/DigitDia-6000.html

I had an older version and was not really impressed. Quality was not that impressive and there were frequent jams. Well possible that the present versions are better but I have my doubts.

Best regards
Erik

That works out to about 41 scans an hour over 60 days...not a workload I would want.

Simple answer, no, there isn't a reasonable high volume method of doing that quantity of scans in that time frame. You can get fast (batch scanning on a flat bed scanner) or quality (drum or Imacon/Hasselblad scanners) but not high quality, high volume. There used to be the ability to do Photo CD scans via a Kodak scan station but that's gone.

There may be services that might be able to handle the quantity but the time frame is tough and that would involve sending originals for scanning–a scary thought.

Erik Kaffehr

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 08:57:42 am »

Jeff,

You are forgetting the Hasselbald x5 scanner with the batch slide feeder.

http://www.hasselblad.com/media/483476/uk_slidefeeder_verc.pdf

David
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

BobDavid

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 10:22:48 am »

I copy 35mm slides with a Hasselblad H2F + CF39 MS back + 120 Macro, + 26mm tube. I shoot tethered to a computer. I have a slip-stage and a pin-registered stage for 35mm slides. I use an Elinchrom Quadra with a softbox attached to the head which is situated underneath a table with a 5" X 6" cutout. I secured a sheet of white plexi to the bottom of the cutout. The film stages snap onto an optically flat sheet of milled aluminum. The camera is mounted on a heavy duty copy stand column. The workflow is fast. Every so often, I'll take a multi-shot exposure when a slide is super crisp or has a lot of shadow detail. I like this setup. It is fast and comparable to a drum scan. This method allows me to shoot about 50 slides an hour, maybe more.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:28:01 am by BobDavid »

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 12:47:50 pm »

David,

Is there anywhere that rents an x5 in New England? and for 2 months?

amsp

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 01:15:12 pm »

I copy 35mm slides with a Hasselblad H2F + CF39 MS back + 120 Macro, + 26mm tube. I shoot tethered to a computer. I have a slip-stage and a pin-registered stage for 35mm slides. I use an Elinchrom Quadra with a softbox attached to the head which is situated underneath a table with a 5" X 6" cutout. I secured a sheet of white plexi to the bottom of the cutout. The film stages snap onto an optically flat sheet of milled aluminum. The camera is mounted on a heavy duty copy stand column. The workflow is fast. Every so often, I'll take a multi-shot exposure when a slide is super crisp or has a lot of shadow detail. I like this setup. It is fast and comparable to a drum scan. This method allows me to shoot about 50 slides an hour, maybe more.

Would you mind posting some snaps of this setup and the different parts? I'd love to see it as I've been thinking of doing something similar.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 01:37:41 pm by amsp »

Professional

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 04:36:35 pm »

Yes, post the setup, i would like to do the same with my H4D-60 and 120 macro lens, i have some studio strobes such as Profoto and Hensel, but need the table and stand and other stuff to see.
Pages: [1]   Go Up