Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: To Giclee or Not To Giclee  (Read 8051 times)

namartinnz

Re: To Giclee or Not To Giclee
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 10:31:40 pm »

I generally call them art reproductions/reprints or just canvas prints. I do get the odd random call about 'giclee' prints and put them right that there is no real difference between printing an art print and a photo. Not with my technique anyway. I emphasize it's getting the copying correct more than the printing. The number of times I see a quick digital photo taken of a fine work and they want a 100cm high print...blurry image, bad colour, angles bad...

Pete Berry

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 02:53:23 am »

The problem I see with the simple "Pigment Ink Print" catagorization is that it leaves the door open to non-archival media. While an archival medium is generally presumed, wouldn't "Archival Pigment Ink Print" be more proper if it is indeed archival - which is what "Giclee" and "Fine Art" have traditionally implied?

Using just the lame "Inkjet Print", which specifies only the delivery system, sans content, is equivalent to designating a conventional oil on canvas, masonite, or whatever as "Brushes and Palette Knife" - or "Cans", I guess, for a Jackson Pollock. Not to mention it's immediate association with the ubiquitous desktop AIO.

Pete
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 03:01:12 am by Pete Berry »

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2012, 08:11:22 am »

Photographers ask me for "prints" or "canvases".
Relatives and family call them "Christmas gifts", "Wedding gifts" or "Birthday presents"

Isn't that what it all comes down to. ;)
Mike Guilbault
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up