Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Calculating the costs of printing, large format  (Read 35441 times)

hirte_7

Calculating the costs of printing, large format
« on: February 16, 2012, 01:58:31 pm »

Hello,

is there a way how I can calculate reasonably accurate the costs of a print in regards to ink, type of picture (colored, BW), size and media? I am about to buy or lease an Epson 9890 and would like to be able to calculate the costs for print. Is there a formula that can be used or some average numbers that make sense?

Thanks for your thoughts.
KM

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Calculating the costs of printing, large format
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 02:07:27 pm »

Hello,

is there a way how I can calculate reasonably accurate the costs of a print in regards to ink, type of picture (colored, BW), size and media? I am about to buy or lease an Epson 9890 and would like to be able to calculate the costs for print. Is there a formula that can be used or some average numbers that make sense?

Thanks for your thoughts.
KM

Please research this website, you will find articles I have written on this subject and in my Epson printer reviews. Not the same models but the approach could remain useful. The method of finding out ink consumption per print varies from model to model.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Johnny_Boy

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 02:13:53 pm »

I have no clue about the Epson printers.

But if you buy a canon printer, they provide you with exact details of the cost as part of the print log.

YMMV, but good ball park starting point might be $0.50 to $1.00 per sq. foot for ink, on CANON ipf8300 LARGE FORMAT printers with large ink tank (350ml). And about the same or slightly higher for the paper. But I am sure you can calculate the paper cost, since you know the roll cost and the size.  

Above is just estimate. It really depends on type of media you print on and also type of image. I think my RC gloss paper takes about 20-30% more ink than canvas.

You really have to consider additional cost like ink wastage for head cleaning, loosing end of the roll of the paper due to not enough length or damage and etc.

Luca Ragogna

• PicFoundry
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 02:21:20 pm »

It's pretty easy once you're actually printing, but there's a bit of manual note taking involved. The printer keeps track of how much was printed and how much ink was used (to within .1 ml) for the last 10 jobs. You'll have to make notes about paper stock, and type of job but after a while you can pretty accurately figure out ink costs for each type of media you run. I haven't found a way to automatically download this info from the printer (but that would be awesome... Epson, are you listening?). You should be able to calculate a fairly accurate per square inch cost in Excel within about 10-20 print jobs.

I've calculated my 9890 to be around $.50 /sq. foot for canvas and $.80 (ish) for luster/gloss paper if I buy ink in 150ml carts. It's lower if you buy 700 ml carts. YMMV.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 02:25:23 pm »

Most people in the "printing for hire" business consider $5 per square foot a fairly representative cost, including depreciation, overhead, etc. But not including labor and profit.

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 02:30:37 pm »

when shopping for my 44" printer both epson and canon reps provided me with a sheet that detailed ink cost and paper cost vor a variety of paper types and print types. I'm sure they'd share the same with you.
on my 44" canon it looks to be $2.40-$3.80/sq ft for just media and ink.

designpartners

• Design Partners
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 03:06:29 pm »

Hey, not sure if it helps, but I worked with my brother to build a quick Microsoft Access data base to track our print cost, it doesn't estimate print costs (I think a lot of rips will do that) but you get a very good idea very quickly as to what your spend actually is..

you do not need access to run this, it's a stand alone..

first, it tracks the user (from windows login)
then you click "create a log"

you can then input the ink usage (got from printer) the media consumption, if it's mounted or not (this adds a set amount), the paper type. you also have an override cost. you can specify if it billable, personal or internal.

this gets logged and you can then run a report of previous prints.

you can set up multiple printers, papers, ink volumes etc..

for what I need, it works really well.

I'll upload it if anyone wants it?

James
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 03:12:13 pm by designpartners »

hirte_7

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 06:15:31 am »

for what I need, it works really well.

James

Thank you James. I am on Mac so I am afraid an Access db will not for work for me. But sounds interesting.

hirte_7

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 06:16:14 am »

when shopping for my 44" printer both epson and canon reps provided me with a sheet that detailed ink cost and paper cost vor a variety of paper types and print types. I'm sure they'd share the same with you.
on my 44" canon it looks to be $2.40-$3.80/sq ft for just media and ink.

Thanks for the hint - I will ask them.

hirte_7

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 06:17:28 am »

It's pretty easy once you're actually printing, but there's a bit of manual note taking involved. The printer keeps track of how much was printed and how much ink was used (to within .1 ml) for the last 10 jobs. You'll have to make notes about paper stock, and type of job but after a while you can pretty accurately figure out ink costs for each type of media you run. I haven't found a way to automatically download this info from the printer (but that would be awesome... Epson, are you listening?). You should be able to calculate a fairly accurate per square inch cost in Excel within about 10-20 print jobs.

I've calculated my 9890 to be around $.50 /sq. foot for canvas and $.80 (ish) for luster/gloss paper if I buy ink in 150ml carts. It's lower if you buy 700 ml carts. YMMV.

OK great -thanks, I will try this once I start printing.

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 08:53:00 am »

Inkjetart.com had an excel doc that works well and Epson also has a new web called Myepsonprinter.com that seems to be worthwhile.  I've used the excel doc for a number of years and just started with Myepsonprinter.com when I upgraded to the 9900.  Using either (or both) will get you a ballpark estimate of what your costs are.

Don

Luca Ragogna

• PicFoundry
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 12:53:00 pm »

James

That would be awesome! Thanks James.

designpartners

• Design Partners
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 03:40:47 pm »

That would be awesome! Thanks James.

done! :)

https://rapidshare.com/files/1294056885/Epson_9900_print_cost_tracker.zip

you can download an Access runtime (free) from here.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=d9ae78d9-9dc6-4b38-9fa6-2c745a175aed&displaylang=en

I'm pretty sure it's easily tweakable, I've never done it, as I said my brother put it toghther, but let me know how you get on and if you need anything done!

hope it helps! :)

James

designpartners

• Design Partners
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 03:42:28 pm »

Epson also has a new web called Myepsonprinter.com that seems to be worthwhile. 
Don

Hi Don,

I've registered with myepsonprinter.eu, but it shows me that I've printed say 15 prints this month, but,... no details on it.. does this happen for you?

did you need to do anything to get it to work?

Thanks,

James

rolad

low tech alternative to very accurately estimate ink + paper cost
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 04:27:53 pm »

...dont know about epson specifics as i have an HP with a very detailed print logging.

a very low tech but in my eyes rather exact way to estimate ink used on a print (not including amounts being purged during cleaning cycles):
used this to find out ink amounts for a friends machine - we weighed unprinted and printed sheets of paper (paper size and printed area
are both known variables).
used a cheap small electronic scale with sufficient accuracy (new for ard. 20 euros/usd on ebay) - assuming basically the same specific
weight as water for water based pigment inks the
weight difference in printed vs. unprinted sheets in grams equates to the amount of ink used on the paper in milliliters.

cheers

mahera

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 03:24:25 pm »

Hi Don,

I've registered with myepsonprinter.eu, but it shows me that I've printed say 15 prints this month, but,... no details on it.. does this happen for you?

Thanks,

James

Hello James,
I don’t know about the .eu side since I am on the .com side from Epson.
However, when I click on the top menu “Printer” I reach a page “printer overview”. On the bottom the is an area called “job activity” and I can see an overview. On the right there is a link for each activity called “more information” clicking on this link brings me to a very detailed info page about this particular print job. Including even some basic billing options (if you set it up).
I would think that’s the same on the .eu side

Rainer

designpartners

• Design Partners
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 03:53:07 pm »

Hello James,
I don’t know about the .eu side since I am on the .com side from Epson.
However, when I click on the top menu “Printer” I reach a page “printer overview”. On the bottom the is an area called “job activity” and I can see an overview. On the right there is a link for each activity called “more information” clicking on this link brings me to a very detailed info page about this particular print job. Including even some basic billing options (if you set it up).
I would think that’s the same on the .eu side

Rainer

yeah it's a weird one, I too see a "printer overview" section, but it says "No Connection".. then the thing is I can click on the printer, it shows me that I've done a number of prints, the ink level, the maintenance tank level, list of maintenance and errors.. but no details of the prints. 

I must get on to them about it!

Thanks

James

mahera

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 05:34:42 pm »

Yeah, that’s strange,

On the .eu side it states
“Know how much every print job will cost you, and forget making estimations with test files.
Useful when you are invoicing your customers.”

I know that I don’t have to be connected with the printer to see all the info.
Can you see at least where you can make the selection e.g. how much you pay for ink, paper and so on?
Fixed costs per job?

On the side there should be somewhere on the top menu a help button or ?
Check the help out, on the .com it is explained were to find all the good stuff.

Rainer

designpartners

• Design Partners
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 04:35:38 pm »

the .eu site is a little different, but should basically do the same thing.. I've sent support a mail but it says it's a public beta so probably not officially supported :(

I'll keep you informed anyway.

Thanks for the help

James

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 08:12:28 pm »

Hi Don,

Thanks,

James

Hi James, sorry for the delay in responding.  I just spent the past week in Jackson WY for a show and am currently on my way home and stoped off in Moab.  It looks like you've gotten the answer.  I'll be back in my studio Tuesday and will see if I can find anything to add to what has already been posted.

Don
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up