Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beaver's Bend State Park  (Read 1180 times)

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
Beaver's Bend State Park
« on: February 15, 2012, 08:21:46 pm »

Here's one from the Mountain Fork River in Beaver's Bend State Park. Southeastern Oklahoma.

Enjoy. Comments welcome.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Beaver's Bend State Park
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 08:50:45 pm »

Very nice subtle hues in the shadowed area and contrast with the leaf against the rocks, but I just can't get past the competition and visual barrier created by the sunlit grasses. I understand why you left the grass in - to create contrast between light and dark, life and  death, green and orange. Although many will find it compelling, it doesn't quite work for me. Perhaps if the grass is toned down...
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 01:59:36 am »

I find the grass too overpowering and the leaf takes a back seat.  If the primary subject is the leaf, something needs to be done to tone down the grass.  One could try this in B&W and use tonal contrast to accentuate the leaf more.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 03:37:14 am »

I agree that the bright green grass spoils it by demanding attention. I understand why you left it there; it's the kind of thing I've done many times. But it doesn't work, for me at any rate. Without it, the shot would be a lovely study in monochrome.

Jeremy

Isaac

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 11:56:59 am »

If the grass in the photo was just pristine deep green leaves without brown stalks, would that be better or worse?

If the shape of the grass in the photo was a pebble-sized rounded area of cropped leaves...?

If the grass in the photo wasn't in sharp focus...?

If the grass wasn't in the photo but there were shadows on the water from the grass leaves...?

If the grass wasn't in the photo...?

The pebbles and submerged leaf feel like subject matter in a picture about colour and shape, but the foreground plants feel like subject matter in a picture documenting the secret world of ants.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 01:52:40 pm by Isaac »

Michael H. Cothran

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 03:02:50 pm »

I'd like to chime in too with the same sentiments. I love the leaf & rocks, but see no reason for the grass to be included. The fact that the grass is so much brighter merely adds insult to injury, so to speak.
Did you, by any chance, shoot a frame without the grass? If I didn't mention it, I love everything about the leaf & rocks.

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 04:08:43 pm »

I must admit I'm a bit surprised that the grass gets such a negative reaction. I have always liked it and think it kind of points to the leaf; adds a bit of motion. I have tried (so far unsucessfully) to restrain it a bit because I also think it too bright. The image is pumped up a bit to bring out the leaf (which was underwater) so it's a bit of a balancing act.

Thanks for all of the response. I appreciate it very much. I'm going to rethink the shot a little.

Richard

jalcocer

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 04:27:34 pm »

I like it, maybe just tone down the green a bit, but for me that's it. good shot
Pages: [1]   Go Up