Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 645 -- which body to buy for Phase back?  (Read 2999 times)

dhdhdh

Mamiya 645 -- which body to buy for Phase back?
« on: February 15, 2012, 10:40:26 am »

I've decided to go with a P45 back for a Mamiya 645 system, but have yet to acquire the camera.  Many varieties of the 645 out there -- Pro, AF, AFD.... maybe more?

I'm assuming the image quality will be the same with all, other than the convenience of autofocus in the later models.  Anything else to consider?

Also... Mamiya similarly has 2 or 3 varieties of the 120 Macro lens out there.  Opinions about any?

Many thanks

dh

ondebanks

Re: Mamiya 645 -- which body to buy for Phase back?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 11:02:18 am »

It has to be an AF body for the P45 - the 645 Pro and earlier models have a back different fitting.

The 645AFD is your best bet on a budget - it has the full digital back interface (that's the "D" in AFD) and featurewise is lacking very little with respect to the AFD II and AFD III. The DF adds some goodies (compatibility with the new Schneider LS lenses and the Vertical Grip accessory) but takes away the option to use a film back.

Ray

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 10:50:00 pm »

Be careful here. The AF does not have the digital interface for the back. It must be an AFD or later.
Jack Varney

lance_schad

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 09:55:50 am »

Keep in mind Phase One's first re-branded Mamiya body was called the 645AF. It was the same as the Mamiya AFD III.

From Wikipedia:
"The Mamiya 645 auto focus series
The Mamiya 645AF was first released in 1999.
The Mamiya 645AFD was first released in 2001.
The Mamiya 645AFD II was first released in 2005.
The Mamiya 645AFD III is on the market since June 2008 and is also available branded as a Phase One camera (known as Phase One 645AF).
The Mamiya 645DF also available branded as a Phase One camera (known as Phase One 645DF)."

Lance
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

david distefano

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 07:26:35 pm »

could you explain why you didn't like the 645 afd body? only seeing it in pictures i was thinking of adding it because it looks like it had an easier grip for street shooting than my hasselblad 503 and with the adapter it would take my hasselblad lenses.

marcmccalmont

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 09:46:04 pm »

I had a AFDII with a p45+ then upgraded to a DF with an IQ180
the feel and finish of the AFDII is better and more to my liking
the functionality of the DF is better
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Gary Ferguson

• http://
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 09:21:50 am »

I use both a Phase One AF (Mamiya AFII) and a Phase One DF (Mamiya AFIII). I keep the AF body as a back up and also because it can be used with a film back which the DF can't.

If I'm in a distant location then I tend to take the AF with a digital back, but also throw a film back and a couple of rolls of 120 film into the kit bag, so that a digital back problem would still allow me to come home with something!

ondebanks

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 08:48:27 am »

Gary,

Your translations are awry: Phase One AF (Mamiya AFDIII) and a Phase One DF (Mamiya DF AFIII).

It's easy to get confused. It's all PhaseOne's fault for messing with the Mamiya branding in the first place.

Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up