Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there any chance to do advertising in small city like Moncton, Canada  (Read 3200 times)

nhvma

• Pro One Studio - Mai Anh Photography - Commercial Photographer

Hi everyone,

I and my family will migrate to Moncton, NB, Canada this April. I am living in really big city now and do not like big city any more  :)
The problem is I do not like portrait and wedding photography. I just love commercial and advertising photography. The reason is I do not know what and when to shoot in a wedding and also English is not my mother language so working with non-professional really a problem.
Is there any room for the one like me in a small city like Moncton? Someone told me I MUST locate in big cities like Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver in order to work as I wish (if I am lucky). Do I need an agent in Moncton? If so where can I start?

If big cities is the only choice then any agents that you may recommend?

Thanks for your time in advance,
Thanks and regards,
Anh Nguyen
www.proonestudio.com

Rob C

Re: Is there any chance to do advertising in small city like Moncton, Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 02:18:39 pm »

I could be wrong, and I know next to nothing about Canada, but my experience has always been that you have to be where the action is; it sure won't come looking for you. Why would it? Why seek out places that probably can't support the auxiliary services that pro photography always demands?

Rob C

nhvma

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 06:48:20 pm »

Thanks Rob,

So settle down in big cities is the only choice!
Thanks and regards,
Anh Nguyen
www.proonestudio.com

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 07:02:20 pm »

From Wikipedia:

The city proper has a population of 69,074 (2011). The Moncton CMA has a population of 138,644 (2011) and has the fifth fastest growth rate of all the metropolitan areas in Canada. The Moncton CMA also has the fastest growth rate of any urban region east of Saskatchewan. The CMA includes the neighbouring city of Dieppe and the town of Riverview, as well as adjacent suburban areas in Westmorland and Albert counties.

Where there is fast growth and real estate, there are photo jobs.  :)  Pick up a 10.5mm lens and a VR pano head!

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 08:58:51 pm »

I could be wrong, and I know next to nothing about Canada, but my experience has always been that you have to be where the action is; it sure won't come looking for you. Why would it?

The only exception to that rule is if you made it big someplace (like NYC, Toronto, Vancouver, etc) and you had a name and loyal client base, you might be able to move your base of operations into the country and away from the big cities and still maintain at least some of your client base–based really on the type of photography you do and the clients you are trying to take with you.

Just understand, working away from the cities is much harder to get clients and support crews to you and travel takes time & money that may mean the clients will find somebody closer to home–the city.

But if you are more in the entry position without clients, it's tough to develop a client base in a smaller city. And Saskatchewan sounds like it's a long way from anywhere...I mean no disrespect, just that if you are looking for commercial/advertising, I'm not sure there will be much where you are going.

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 09:36:09 pm »

And Saskatchewan sounds like it's a long way from anywhere...

Moncton is in New Brunswick, which is far-far away from Saskatchewan... OP, it seems, is emigrating to Canada and I 'd assume he got some "points" (Canadian immigration system) by going to live in a rural province ? so he has to stay for some time there (or at least pretend that he does).

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 09:48:15 pm »

Moncton is in New Brunswick, which is far-far away from Saskatchewan...

LOL, I miss read the "East of Saskatchewan" part of that post...it's still a long way from anywhere (although I know a good fashion shooter from Halifax, Nova Scotia Brent McComb (http://alterego.zenfolio.com/). Maybe Brent would have some ideas...he shows up here from time to time.

nhvma

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 07:16:10 am »

Thanks for the time and advice,

What I have now is Moncton would be central of nowhere and if I do not move to big cities where all the ad agencies located then very to almost no chance for advertising job for me.
How about the local advertising agencies? with the population about 120,000 then is there any job for a new comer like me?
I know it is very competitive market but as someone said there is always room for me. I am not sure if there is enough job for me to support the family in the first few years.
Above that I am quite at good in design, retouch, and DI but still worry about the future. May be I need to quit photography business which I love and look for something else. I do have B plan but my first priority is photography and I will give it a try. To make thing easier then posting here to seeking advice from the pro would be the first thing to do IMO.

Again, thanks for the time and advice. If any one have more specific idea then it would be very appreciated.
Thanks and regards,
Anh Nguyen
www.proonestudio.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up