Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HTS with Phase one P30+ ?  (Read 1019 times)

B_D

HTS with Phase one P30+ ?
« on: February 14, 2012, 03:52:46 pm »

Hey Everyone.

I've used a HTS successfully on a P65+ back and h2 body however I'd like to use one on a P30+. 

My understanding is that P30+ backs are not good for technical cameras as the use microlenses.

I was wondering if you could use a HTS adaptor on a h2 body with a p30+ without running into problems with rise and fall as the hts seems to work on a slightly different principle (even if it can achieve effectively the same results)

Thanks!

Nick-T

Re: HTS with Phase one P30+ ?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 09:14:01 pm »

I use an HTS on an H3D31(same chip as P30+) with no problems. Occasional minor casts that are easily fixed with custom white shot.

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

Audii-Dudii

Re: HTS with Phase one P30+ ?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 03:29:44 pm »

My understanding is that P30+ backs are not good for technical cameras as the use microlenses.

They're not, but that's what you're considering here.  Although I have no experience with the HTS, I do have a P30+ that I use with a modified Mamiya 645 50mm/F4 PC lens, and so long as I keep the amount of shift used under 10mm, it works just fine for my purposes.  For my B&W work, no LCC is required, but for color work, you'll probably require one if you use more than ~5mm of shift.  Not optimally, to be sure, but acceptably.

I believe the reason why the P30+ works acceptably with modest shift movements on a DSLR body, but not very well at all when used on a technical camera, has to do with their typically longer lens registers.  In the case of my Contax 645 body, this is 64mm, whereas the typical lens register for a similar focal-length lens used on a technical camera is 10 to 20mm shorter, which means the light rays coming out of the lens have to be less telecentric (i.e., angled more steeply) in order to cover a same-size sensor that is located closer to it.  At some point, the light rays are angled so steeply that none of the light can pass the micro-lenses and the image will go completely black.  I have found that with my P30+ and using the Mamiya lens and Contax 645 combo, this typically happens when more than 12-13mm of shift is used.

Of course, your Hasselblad body's lens register is even longer than that of my Contax, so you may find that you can use even more shift with a P30+ than I can, but I would be very surprised if you find that you have to use less.
Pages: [1]   Go Up