Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How much different is the workflow with MFD vs. DSLR's?  (Read 5181 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: How much different is the workflow with MFD vs. DSLR's?
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 10:37:01 pm »

I also think that in terms of digital shooting, one would experience the same. Shooting with a Hasselblad digital, I am again slower, and more deliberate than when shooting with a Nikon.

I certainly also see a strong correlation btwn slowness of shooting and resulting image quality also.

But for me the 2 key events were:
- the day I started to use a tripod that taught me the importance of shooting point/height,
- the day I started to shoot 4x5 that taught me the importance of crop and composition.

As of now I think I am able to apply these learnings whatver the camera I use, from a Nikon J1 to a full stitching set up. So in my view what matters is the mindset more than the camera.

Cheers,
Bernard

darr

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 10:12:38 am »

I use an AS M Line 2 in studio with db on a camera stand (slow, but suppose to be); for portrait work, a RZ-D on tripod; and landscapes sometimes an Alpa Max on tripod--all of these setups demand the use of a tripod for best results and a slower contemplative approach. I compose on the ground-glass with the AS and Alpa.

For more fast-paced, candid, and sometimes casual shoots, it is my D700. The D700 sometimes gets on a tripod for stitching, but it is my go-to camera for anything that can have a higher ISO and not demanding of enlargement. I do love the shooting work-flow of the D700!

paratom

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 07:53:00 am »

Thanks much for the replies, guys. I guess I should of asked "how much different is the shooting experience with MFD vs. DSLR's" as I was indeed meaning to refer more to the actual experience vs. the workflow. A file is a file, regardless of size, and yes, speed of the computer comes into play and what not, but the editing process is still more or less the same. I was more curious about actual shooting. It seems like exponentially more time is spent composing and shoot with MF than digital, but again, it's true what most of you are saying that the compositions tend to be of a higher quality as more time and effort went into them. I'd like to soon venture into the world of medium format digital backs and perhaps you could recommend me a budget-conscious one? I'd ideally like to spend no more than $5k for a 22+mp back of decent quality. Definitely don't mind buying second hand (it's probably my only option anyways)...

In contradiction to some here I can honestly say that I dont see how shooting with the S2 should take more time than shooting with a digital slr.
Of course one can spend more time for using a tripod, or for more carefull framing...but you could do the same with a DSLR, cant you? And you can also shoot a MF-camera handhold and with a faster pace if you want to.
The only difference is maybe if you are a zoom shooter and now need to more often change lenses.

I even would say it takes less time to procude a good image and is easier to compose, because there is that big nice viewfinder in medium format,  cameras which lets you see the subject very good, and because you have that nice dynamic range, and because you have a lot of room to crop in case your framing was not perfect.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up