Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disapearing wetlands of Louisiana  (Read 1091 times)

dumainew

Disapearing wetlands of Louisiana
« on: February 13, 2012, 06:31:46 pm »

Taken on Lake Maurepas with a Canon G10 from my 12' kayak.

rambler44

Re: Disapearing wetlands of Louisiana
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 01:32:03 pm »

#1 and #3.  pleasing curves, bends, lines and reflections.  Your subjects are unique characters.
In #1 the background just works because I can see that it includes trees, so it does give a slight sense of place, but I would agree with isaac, more would be interesting.

#2  I think you tried to include too much.  Did you have a hard time deciding what you wanted to include?  So, you ended up trying to include it all!  Was it the tree on the right , the reflection in the foreground, it looks like a sunken tree there, too, or the sky that caught your attention first?  Then you have some random stumps.  In the right side background there are other things or shapes that are hard to identify.  Why did you include them?  The clouds, too, are interesting, but you lopped off the tops.  Do you see what I mean?

If you had included just one of those elements, foreground water and reflection, or the exposed trunk on the right, or more of the clouds, less of the foreground and a clean background, maybe that would have been enough, rather than including some of each. 

My bias is to have a subject that really jumps out at me.  I would be satisfied to see a lot more of that tree, up close so I could really see its character, texture, and shape.  That is why # 3 is my favorite.  The B&W works well.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 01:34:47 pm by rambler44 »

rambler44

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 01:40:51 pm »

Well, after I wrote the comments above, I returned to look at #2 and I noticed the title.

I see now how you wanted to show various stages of the disappearing trees.  I see why you included the random stumps.  Your title is indeed important here in your telling of the story.

dumainew

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 06:22:20 pm »

Thank you both for your comments and the helpful suggestions. They are much appreciated

For image # 1 I'm gonna go back and take another picture with a more normal lens setting. To see how much more seeable the trees on the shoreline can be.

For image #2 I think maybe it's best left the way it is. It's my intention to slowly draw the viewer into the image, without any 'startling announcement'- because this is somewhat of a graveyard scene and it seems appropriate to be quiet. The question is, does the viewer really spend time to see enough and understand what's occurring?

For image #3 can you tell that this is one stump, not two, that is highly weathered with decay? And does the new plant growing on it offer some sense of the 'tenacity' of nature.

Thanks for reading.

Pages: [1]   Go Up