Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tilt Shift/PC lens for my D800  (Read 45681 times)

Chockstone

• Chockstone Photography
Re: Tilt Shift/PC lens for my D800
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2012, 12:14:28 am »

I have had some time to evaluate the Hartblei 40/4 TS on a D800E.

Quick question. If you stitch three images, one fully shifted left, one unshifted, one fully shifted right, using your d800E and the Hartblei, what is the final aspect ratio? Is there enough leeway to gain a double width image (ie a 72MP 3x1 instead of the normal 36MP 2x3)?

If such a thing was possible I'd welcome it. I'm into the 3x1 ratio and big prints. At present I'm stitching 8 protrait images on a Canon 5DII, which is a real pain. It can take several minutes to finish one series if the light is low. A nightmare of changing light conditions. Less images, means less time. Also using shifting instead would eliminate potential stitching errors and give me better DOF control via tilt. Tempting - if it can shift far enough for a 3x1.

Glenn NK

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2012, 01:02:09 am »

This begs the question - have you tried a Canon TSE?

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2012, 01:04:27 am »

I don't think you're going to get 3:1 without some cropping. Regardless of the lens' image circle size, any shifting beyond about 12mm is pointless, because you'll get shadow from the mirror box.

With my PCE lenses, 3-shot horizontal shift-stitch yields very close to 2.50:1 ratio (which is a ratio I happen to like quite a bit).
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Chockstone

• Chockstone Photography
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2012, 01:19:04 am »

This begs the question - have you tried a Canon TSE?

No, because the Canon TSE's don't allow enough shift for a double width full-frame pano, and the corners when fully shifted are reported to be a tad soft.

I don't think you're going to get 3:1 without some cropping.

That's a pity. Cropping would lower the resolution, defeating the purpose. I'm used to 90MP files now. Guess I'll stick with pano stitching. Maybe someone will invent an affordable digital 6x17 one day.

hjulenissen

« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2012, 03:30:43 am »

Did anyone comment the rumors of a relatively cheap Samyang t&s 24mm? Judging on the optical quality they have delivered previously, they seem interesting, and the lack of electronics in a t&s seems like a non-issue.

-h
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up