Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simien Sunrise  (Read 2390 times)

larkvi

• http://www.larkvi.com
Simien Sunrise
« on: February 13, 2012, 01:24:58 am »

Hello all,

Here is a photo that I sat on for a long time, as my processing skills were not quite up to the task when I shot it in 2007. I still think that there is a lot to be done with it, and I submit it for feedback to you. Specifically, I would like to bring out the light better, and separate the clouds from the backdrop, without overcooking the image.
-Sean [ we

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Simien Sunrise
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 06:01:39 am »

Don't touch it, Sean. It's stunning just as it is. If you bring up those clouds you're going to reduce the atmospheric perspective that isolates that foreground and makes the background a dream world of receding mountains. It's a fine piece of work. Bravo!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 07:20:53 am »

Don't touch it, Sean. It's stunning just as it is. If you bring up those clouds you're going to reduce the atmospheric perspective that isolates that foreground and makes the background a dream world of receding mountains. It's a fine piece of work. Bravo!

+1 !!!
"Don't touch it!" was my first thought as well.
Its a wonderful tender image - Don't destroy it!

jalcocer

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 08:37:42 am »

+1, it's a great image, I love the way the sun strikes part of the trees and the ground, and the line of clouds going in between the mountains.

shutterpup

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 10:08:24 am »

Russ has said it perfectly. It's a beautiful piece of work.

francois

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 11:34:18 am »

Simply beautiful...
Francois

larkvi

• http://www.larkvi.com
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 12:37:21 pm »

Thank you all for your kind and positive replies. It is gratifying and unexpected that people like the edit so much as is.
-Sean [ we

popnfresh

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 03:20:09 pm »

You can touch it, just don't change it.   ;)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 03:41:57 am »

I'll add my voice to those urging you not to fiddle with it. Russ is right: any attempt is likely to spoil the distinction between the sharp foreground and the lovely, layered, hazy background. It's a very good shot.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 10:16:35 am »

It is a very nice image as it is; but I would have a go at playing with the background sky. Just make a Save As copy and play away to your heat's content; nothing will have been lost and perhaps something might be gained.

I'd try to feather the top and left of the sky darker a fraction, but not enough to lose the distance effect. For the wet process sceptics, it's one of those effects best done with the hands and not a computer. Sorry, Jeremy, but there you are.

Rob C

PS  Not you, kikashi, another Jeremy!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 10:21:41 am by Rob C »

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 11:46:33 am »

I'll add my voice to those urging you not to fiddle with it. Russ is right: any attempt is likely to spoil the distinction between the sharp foreground and the lovely, layered, hazy background. It's a very good shot.

Jeremy

+1.

Great shot, I think knowing when to stop can be just as difficult as making the image in the first place - the image is wonderful as it is and doesn't need any more work.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up