Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Early HDR Attempt: What Do You Think?  (Read 2273 times)

timothyj

• Upstate New York Photography
Early HDR Attempt: What Do You Think?
« on: February 12, 2012, 10:39:39 pm »

I've been lurking on this forum for a while but finally signed up for an account, and this is my first post. Wanted to get some feedback on one of my first attempts at HDR. It was taken with a Nikon D5100 and kit lens. I used the Merge to HDR feature in Photoshop CS5 to create. Thanks and look forward to participating more on the forum

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: Early HDR Attempt: What Do You Think?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 10:58:21 pm »

Welcome!

Here's what I like...the nitty gritty texture of this scene is well interpreted by your use of HDR.  Color scheme and tonality is very nice.  The feel of the scene is conveyed extremely well!

What's to critique...It's notably crooked in a way that does not serve the image.  There is clipping in the sky which COULD be fixed, but which may or may not be a disservice to the image.  It has elements of the "pier converging towards a distant point" genre that seem to give it a vague significance, the only problem being that even the very best photos in that genre don't have much significance, either!   :)

But look, it's technically pretty good and does have many elements that make it interesting.  I have filed away the memory of the wood/ice texture contrast under "steal this idea."  I would think that something along these lines with a more simplified composition would be a pretty decent shot!  IMHO, stark, wintery shots always work best with rather sparse compositions.  But I don't do very many because cold-feeling shots are a pretty hard sell in the photo market.
Pages: [1]   Go Up