Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big Bend National Park  (Read 3259 times)

Gehle

Big Bend National Park
« on: February 12, 2012, 02:53:14 pm »

I will be in the Big Bend area (Lajitas, TX) in April. I'd like to plan out the days based on where the interesting morning and evening shots will be but I'm totally unfamiliar with the area. Any recommendations on "must see" landscapes? Info on which are best for morning vs. evening would be great too.

wthurman

• http://www.wendythurman.com
Re: Big Bend National Park
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 10:26:57 pm »

It's been a while since I was last in the park, but:

Santa Elena Canyon should be good in the morning light.  The entrance faces east so you should get some interesting effects.  Ernst Tinaja is always interesting as are the pour-offs located throughout the park.  Views from the Chisos Mountains are spectacular; it's a pretty serious hike to the top of Emory Peak but get there early enough and the lighting should be excellent.  If you're there in early April the desert may still be in bloom, which would make for some good photography.

Take plenty of water if you are hiking in the backcountry and if you park along the river and are away from the car for a while, don't leave anything of value in it.  Also don't pass up Big Bend Ranch State Park- it's a huge place with lots to see.

MikeWhitten

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 10:37:11 pm »

Hi,

Check out the Ross Maxwell scenic drive; Sotol Vista is excellent. After the sun sets, wait for the second show. Ernst Tinaja is neat, but getting there requires several miles of off-pavement driving. For lots of good info may I suggest bigbendchat.com.

Mike

Gehle

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 04:58:43 pm »

Thanks for the help!

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 05:36:04 pm »

All good suggestions, there's so much to shoot. I would allocate some time to the area around the Carousel and Mule Ears.
Scott, thinking of some slides that need scanning
Pages: [1]   Go Up