Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few from a foggy day  (Read 2731 times)

michael ellis

A few from a foggy day
« on: February 12, 2012, 01:55:39 pm »

Here are two photos of some roadside thistles (I call them Teazles but I don't know the species) as well as an Oregon coast range landscape.

Thanks for looking.

Michael

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: A few from a foggy day
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 05:01:59 pm »

I like the second very much: the tendrils frame the body very prettily.

The first seems to me to lack a point of interest; and the third is, well, just a scene.

IMHO

Jeremy

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 07:56:33 pm »

#3: I like the red aspen buds against the green conifers. Oregon must be closer to spring than is Saskatchewan.
#2: elegant. Yep, that's teazel. Once used to tease wool into straight threads before spinning.
#1: I also have a hard time making these kinds of subjects really interesting.
Scott

rambler44

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 06:32:47 pm »

I find the different directions of the stems make the thistles appear to be dancing...Nice effect, but oh all that grey space off to the right bothers me.  It is not the space itself, because that gives the plants room to move and grow, but it is the color that bothers me.

Excellent detail on the close up.

The soft tones and layers of the scenery is a nice effect, but agin way too much sky.  It is just not interesting, yet takes up a lot of space.  I think if you crop it out to just a little above tree line it would be fine.  

I wonder if a telephoto, drawing the layers closer together, might have worked, too.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 03:04:28 pm by rambler44 »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 01:34:48 am »

southern Oregon?  Probably cut-leaf teasel (Dipsacus laciniatus if you want to get picky). Considered a noxious weed, but not yet very widespread.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

michael ellis

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 12:56:54 pm »

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate the input and differing perspectives (or is it point of view?). The Teazle "group shot" to me is evocative of the dreary winters we have here in NW Oregon. Jeremy, I actually like the somewhat disorganized nature of the composition and lack of focal point. Rambler44, I haven't thought of them as dancing but love that thought! The gray space just doesn't bother me and I can't really see adding color to it.

The close up came out real nice for me and I am glad you all liked it. Mike, would it be the same species in NW Oregon? Is it a non native?

The landscape was hampered by thick fog and a highway just below the bottom of the frame. I would have liked to include more foreground but am usually averse to highways and guardrails. What attracted me was the areas of contrasting color and texture so I was trying to make a pleasing combo of those elements. I agree the sky is quite un-interesting. I used a 105 mm lens.

Scott, I am sure we are closer to Spring than Sasketchawan. Portland, where I live, doesn't experience much cold weather for winter. Mainly it is dark and overcast with a lot of rain. Thanks for the info on Teazle use.

Thanks again for the comments.

Sincerely,

Michael

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 08:41:00 am »

What attracted me was the areas of contrasting color and texture so I was trying to make a pleasing combo of those elements. I agree the sky is quite un-interesting. I used a 105 mm lens.

Hi Michael,
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=59246.0
Note that he often uses a longer lens.
Scott

jalcocer

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 04:30:13 pm »

really like the first one, was like putting them on a white canvas, great shot
Pages: [1]   Go Up