Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Profiling a tough paper: 60 lb offset gloss text  (Read 1817 times)

chaddro

Help Profiling a tough paper: 60 lb offset gloss text
« on: February 11, 2012, 07:16:30 pm »

Hey All,

I have a partial roll of 60 lb OFFSET gloss text paper (about 150 ft) that my press rep gave me ... and I'm trying to make a profile for it, but the paper does not absorb ink, so I'm getting puddling (for lack of a better word) when I attempt to print my targets.

I was wondering if anyone has done something like this. And what paper/print settings you used to get a print that doesn't run :P
It'd think there would be some way to reduce the amount of ink laying down, but haven't figured it out.

Thanks!

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
Re: Help Profiling a tough paper: 60 lb offset gloss text
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 07:28:51 pm »

If it's not coated for inkjet, assuming that's what you're referring to, I don't think it's ever going to work. Paper coatings for offset press inks are completely different from paper for inkjet. Pretty thin paper too, btw.

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Help Profiling a tough paper: 60 lb offset gloss text
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 05:12:55 am »

On gloss and satin offset papers it is almost impossible to print with aqueous inkjet inks. On matte offset papers it can be done; gamut is less, image quality is less and the paper will warp even up to 200 grams but I do it quite often for dummies etc.
Proofing for offset is done on papers that resemble the paper white of the offset papers and show similar texture but the papers are usually specially coated and have a barrier for inkjet inks. I have some doubts about newspaper proof papers though, using left over cores from the newspaper press show the same quality on my inkjet printer as the GMG proof newspaper. The press men told me they use the leftovers too for proofs.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst
Shareware too:
330+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up