Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Rollei Hy6 in Cold weather  (Read 13584 times)

fainer

Rollei Hy6 in Cold weather
« on: February 11, 2012, 06:15:05 pm »

So I was outside today for a quick shoot it was about -16 degree celsius, I got through one roll of film and then couldn't shoot another picture, after changing film the camera kept saying starting app.. and would shut off and on again. the shutter wouldn't go at all. Very weird, I tried changing batteries and removing and replacing the lens, which didn't help at all. Also manually shutting of camera off and on again didn't work. I'm very surprised that such an expensive piece of gear couldn't work in the cold, although I guess the camera is meant for more studio use. Any ideas?

Lacunapratum

Re: Rollei Hy6 in Cold weather
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 07:23:27 pm »

The Hy6 is a great camera, perhaps the best MF camera out there.  However, of all the one's I have worked with it's the worst in cold weather.  Just took my Pentax 645D out in the Chicago winter, fingers frozen, worked like charm.  The Hy6 would have stopped working after a few minutes.  At least that has been my experience. 

fainer

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 07:51:32 pm »

Ok So I'm not the only one, thanks a lot. I was hoping it wasn't a defect or something, I read in the manual just now that it says to keep the battery in your pocket but I don't think that would of helped for too long. Thanks again for the feedback. I was using a Nikon D2X before and I could have left it outside all night and picked it up and shot with it a minute after, so I was surprised. The Hy6 is still very new to me so hopefully the results will be good from that one roll of film..

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 12:28:06 am »

I was using a Nikon D2X before and I could have left it outside all night and picked it up and shot with it a minute after, so I was surprised. The Hy6 is still very new to me so hopefully the results will be good from that one roll of film..

Things can only go down when coming from a D2x class camera for tough outdoor usage, they are just light years ahead of anything MF except the 645D.

Cheers,
Bernard

JV

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 09:05:42 am »

I read this article about the H4D-40 recently:
http://www.hasselbladusa.com/news/the-naked-mountain-reveals-all-to-an-h4d-40.aspx
It will be interesting to see how it holds up in those extreme conditions.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 11:58:38 am »

Most likely this is the batteries and not the camera.  Rollei 6000 series used to have a remote battery that you could keep in your pocket and thus keep warm but I don't know of anything available for the Hy6/AFi as of yet.   Next time try warming up the batteries one one of your inside pockets and let us know if that helps.
Rolleiflex USA

Mr. Rib

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 12:33:27 pm »

As a Rollei 6008AF owner I can say that it was my worst outdoor shooting experience in cold weather.. If you didn't want to rely on 'power adapter' solution (you simply entered a battery to your pocket wired to an adapter shaped like a battery put inside the Rollei body), you'd have to insert the battery to the camera only when you're shooting and keep it in internal pocket all the time.. That was irritating.. Hy6 is a totally different but it has been designed by Rollei so who knows, maybe the battery problem haunts them :)

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 01:39:37 pm »

Actually the battery issue for both platforms is for me at least resolved.  With the replacement upgraded cells the 6000 series camera can get like 700 shots in on a single charge and the new cells don't get flat just sitting in the camera bag.  On the Hy6, I never counted but easily 500 shots probably double that.  It's just not a worry anymore. 

For me the big battery problem went from the camera to the back.  The Leaf AFi-ii 12 (aptus 12R) gets just about 100 frames per battery and sometimes less.  It's a real bother.  The AFi-ii 7 which I also have does much better on the batteries.   

Rolleiflex USA

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 02:09:24 pm »

Yes the Aptus is a hungry little beast. I must have 10 batteries by now. I have a dual battery system in my 4x4 with a solar panel and inverter to charge batteries when in places like Lesoto far from electricity.

Don't think I've ever been at -16C. Heading to Lesotho this coming winter and I expect it to be around -5. Any advice would be welcome.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 01:10:18 am »

For me the big battery problem went from the camera to the back.  The Leaf AFi-ii 12 (aptus 12R) gets just about 100 frames per battery and sometimes less.  It's a real bother.  The AFi-ii 7 which I also have does much better on the batteries.   

At what temp?

I'll never forget my Mamiya ZD having less than 10 (ten) frames autonomy at -15C will a fully charged fresh battery coming straight out of my inner pocket.

Cheers,
Bernard

Carl Glover

• http://www.alephstudio.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 06:58:30 am »

My second hy6 had this very problem which was very irritating as it occured during a shoot - luckily I had a 1DSII in the bag to finish the job.

It went back to Germany and since then it has been a wonderful camera - no battery issues though.

I still consider it the best, the ergonomics are fantastic and I prefer working with a chimney finder. I rarely use it in a studio - it's been to the North sea twice in very low temperatures!

paratom

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 07:21:02 am »

2 Years ago I used a Hy6 during ski-vacation in cold weather a couple of times. -10 Celsius and less side by side with a D3x.
My Hy6 worked fine. My Nikon 24-70 got stuck (zooming mechanism) and I had to send it to Nikon.

JV

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 08:30:58 am »

It went back to Germany and since then it has been a wonderful camera

Interesting.  I wonder what they changed?  Do you have any more details?
The manual says the working temperatures are from -20C to +60C, so the camera should work.
I concur with your statement about the ergonomics.  I just bought a Hy6 myself.  The camera just feels very smooth.

Best, Joris.

StuartR

• http://www.stuartrichardson.com
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 06:36:35 pm »

I never really had a problem with the Hy6 itself in cold weather, but I was using a sinar back that did not last very long at all...the film back seemed to do fine. Then again, it probably was just a bit under freezing, not -16...

fainer

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 05:33:55 pm »

I don't think it's worth sending back to Germany, I really don't think there's anything wrong with the camera. The manual I read says -10C not -20, so I think like Eric says it's a battery issue. I guess I will have to retest this. Man so I guess it really is cold in Canada, most of you say -5 is cold hehe. That's like fall weather up here. lol. :D

*PS thanks for everyones responses, very helpful.

JV

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 08:59:01 pm »

The manual I read says -10C not -20, so I think like Eric says it's a battery issue.

Not that it really matters but there's two references to temperature in the manual,
the practical tip to keep the batteries warm below -10C (page 64) and the working temperature -20C - +60C in the specs (page 86). 
Best, Joris.

Lacunapratum

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 10:53:03 pm »

Upon reflection, certainly the Sinar back gave up very quickly in the cold.  Some camera functionality appeared limited also quite soon, but it's a while back when I used it last.  Never used the Hy6 with film.  As a whole, the P645D seems much for robust in any wheather.  As a result, the Hy6 has moved into the studio where it seems more at home. 

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 07:32:49 am »

Indeed I enjoy my Hy6 in the studio and it does perform there as a champ, same as I find it to do outdoors. It is with the AFi-II 12 the very best camera I have ever owned and feels as a much continuing growing joy to use. That said, will take it wherever on the planet where I wish to take a picture. That excludes most below zero degrees, not because of the Hy6, but because of me. It is too f$$$$$ cold to take a picture in below freezing!  ;) Surely if we have to take it there, same as us it will need some protection and special care???

Weather sealing on cameras is much overrated and much a marketing gig (unless for the select few that have to use a camera careless in such conditions). The rest of us take proper care of the camera and use it within its limits.

Best regards,
Anders

Lacunapratum

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 08:06:51 pm »

I guess mostly to prove the point, my Hy6 decided to agree with my side of the story and shut down the mirror after only a few shots and about half an hour walk outside here in Chicago.  60 degree I guess.  Back in my office I held it in front of my space heater and the mirror happily jumped back in position a minute later.  It's working fine now. 

Conclusions.  (i) I love the Hy6 nevertheless, I guess, until it shuts down.  (ii) Never happened with my Pentax 645D.   

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 08:42:26 pm »

60 degrees?  Hmmm.... that's about what it is year round in San Francisco  :o  ...  have used three bodies here in that kind of weather without any trouble.  Hope you are not getting the dreaded mirror locked up issue a few people have reported about.
Rolleiflex USA
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up