Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: On-screen target with focussing aid?  (Read 1588 times)

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
On-screen target with focussing aid?
« on: February 10, 2012, 05:30:05 pm »

Would anyone know of a (digital) resolution target which would use some sort of "trick" to aid in manual focussing? Something that would indicate when focus is reached, like a split-image range finder? Or like the Moiré patterns used in some clinometers? Or something else.

Background:
I am trying to shoot test images for profile creation for PhotoAcute for my Contax lenses on my Canon 5D2. PhotoAcute's own sample image is supposed to fill only (for this camera) 1/9th of the monitor width, which makes manual focussing very inconsistent, at least with a short focal length.

Thank you for your help. Hening.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: On-screen target with focussing aid?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 06:03:13 pm »

Would anyone know of a (digital) resolution target which would use some sort of "trick" to aid in manual focussing? Something that would indicate when focus is reached, like a split-image range finder? Or like the Moiré patterns used in some clinometers? Or something else.

Hi Hening,

Here's a moiré target. You can also use a zoneplate target (see post #16 in that thread) to maximize aliasing artifacts towards the edges.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 06:42:48 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 06:15:44 pm »

Background:
I am trying to shoot test images for profile creation for PhotoAcute for my Contax lenses on my Canon 5D2. PhotoAcute's own sample image is supposed to fill only (for this camera) 1/9th of the monitor width, which makes manual focussing very inconsistent, at least with a short focal length.

but 5D2 has live view and you can zoom image 10x... right ?

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 06:24:15 pm »

Thank you Bart! this seems to be right on target! ;-)  I'll try it out ASAP.

@ Deejjjaaaa:
> but 5D2 has live view and you can zoom image 10x... right ?

Yes but that does not really help, at least not with f=28 mm which is what I have tried so far.

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 04:28:17 pm »

Yes this works fine. A factor I found to be aware of to make the Moiré patterns visible is to adjust the brightness of the camera monitor, mine was to bright to begin with.
Thanks again for this wonderful tool! Without it, focussing this target would never have worked.
Hening.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 06:40:37 pm »

Yes this works fine. A factor I found to be aware of to make the Moiré patterns visible is to adjust the brightness of the camera monitor, mine was to bright to begin with.
Thanks again for this wonderful tool! Without it, focussing this target would never have worked.

Hi Hening,

You're welcome. I'm glad it helped you to get a good focus on your PhotoAcute target.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up