Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D800E and video quality?  (Read 1761 times)

olaf

D800E and video quality?
« on: February 10, 2012, 01:43:04 pm »

Hi folks
I hope Chris Sanderson or another video expert can help here. I read that if video is important then buy the D800 because the lack of an anti aliasing filter on the D800E will mean that the video quality will be poor. It sounds odd (surely Nikon would have thought of this) but I'm a newbie to video so I have no idea if this is common sense or nonsense.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.

mmurph

• http://
Re: D800E and video quality?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 04:29:59 pm »

This from Phillip Bloom:

"Oh…one last thing, any video shooters out there AVOID the D800E. It has no low pass filter which means aliasing and moire hell! It is designed to give more detail and resolution. We don’t need it!"

http://philipbloom.net/2012/02/07/d800/

Bio:

"For the past 22+ years I have been following my passion as a career and it has taken me around the world to places I have felt privileged to have seen.

I have filmed, directed and edited short films, documentaries and much more from Clapham to Cambodia and in 2005 I was short listed for a BAFTA craft award for my series of short films for Sky News “If I were Prime Minister”

I consider myself as one of the new breed of digital cinematographers. Over the past 4+ years I have become one of the leading world evangelists for the low budget film look. Through cameras like the Canon 5DmkII and more recently the Panasonic AF100 and Sony F3. Please visit my DSLR films section to see just how beautiful they look. I have used these DSLRs on all sorts of projects from music videos to commercials and documentaries. I recently was also the 5D Cinematographer on the new WWII movie from Lucasfilm, “RED TAILS”.
"

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 04:33:07 pm »

This from Phillip Bloom:

"Oh…one last thing, any video shooters out there AVOID the D800E. It has no low pass filter which means aliasing and moire hell! It is designed to give more detail and resolution. We don’t need it!"

Did he actually try the D800E and see issues?

Cheers,
Bernard

AveryRagan

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 05:16:54 pm »

Did he actually try the D800E and see issues?

Cheers,
Bernard

My reading of his post says NO and when questioned about the E he did not respond, even though he responded to a later question on another subject.

Regards,
Avery

mmurph

• http://
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 11:04:35 pm »

No, he hasn't used it yet.

He did write an anti-moire filter for Final Cut Pro for the 5DII.

Here is a bit more:

"More megapixels for video causes these issues: Image size needs to be drastically reduced to get down to the 1920×1080 full HD video image, and to do that in the Canons has meant line skipping, information binning, which gives us moire and aliasing. Not nice. In fact, very ugly. I am not sure how bad the binning is on the D800 but that is a lot of information to throw away. The image is 1.6x larger than the 5Dmk2, so that worries me. I have noticed some image issues on the video below, but never judge image quality based upon a compressed web video. I need to see the original, or better still, shoot with the camera to form a proper opinion."

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 12:29:05 am »

Hi,

I don't think the lack of AA-filter affects video at all because it would be optimized for stills anyway. For video the AA-filter would need to be much stronger.

Best regards
Erik

Hi folks
I hope Chris Sanderson or another video expert can help here. I read that if video is important then buy the D800 because the lack of an anti aliasing filter on the D800E will mean that the video quality will be poor. It sounds odd (surely Nikon would have thought of this) but I'm a newbie to video so I have no idea if this is common sense or nonsense.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up