Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: White dots on print??  (Read 8083 times)

Kanvas Keepsakes

White dots on print??
« on: February 10, 2012, 01:51:14 am »

Hey guys hope you all can help me with a little problem I'm having.  I have a Canon iPF8300 and it's been working fine.  Suddenly I started noticing that one or two dots of white (almost like the ink skipped that little pixel area) will appear on my print AFTER it's been printed and set to dry on it's paper chute at the bottom.  I have printed the same picture 3 times and it seems to be one or two and in random places.  I watch my print go through the printer and not one dot is on there.  I come back to check print 20min later and I have one or two random ones on my prints.  Attached below are pictures I took of the process.  At first I thought it was dust setting on my print or thick lint.  So I sacrificed one of my prints and kind of put a tiny flat head screw driver to kind of nick off the dirt but the white dot just got bigger.  They're tiny but enough to notice and no way I am going to give customer a print like this.  Hope you all can help.  Thanks  ??? ???

francois

Re: White dots on print??
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 02:21:39 am »

Are you sure that it's not dust that is on your paper before you print?
Francois

daws

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 02:25:52 am »

My guess is that it's dust or other matter on the paper before printing. The ink adheres to the dust instead of the paper, then when the dust flakes off it takes the ink with it.

I've had it happen on my Epson printers whenever I forget to use a rocket blower on the paper before printing.

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 02:28:05 am »

Makes a lot of sense now . . .rocket blower?  What's that??  Should i feed paper through first, clean it, then reprint?

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 03:06:04 am »

Probably dust on the print before printing.  But could also be little pieces flaking off defective media after printing, although that's much less likely.

Check the area around the roll holder for dust, especially the black, spring loaded things just under and somewhat behind the roll.  Wipe with a slightly moist towel.

Dust can settle on the exposed part of the roll facing upwards between uses.  I always lean a 32" x 48" piece of foamboard up against the output chute to protect the roll from room dust.  Have had almost zero dust problems.

I used to have dust problems big time with the 9880, until I realized I had to clean to plastic cover and the metal plate just under the roll pretty often.  That solved all my dust problems and I never once sat there with a blower as the roll ever-so-glacially fed into the printheads.  That would be unthinkably, boringly awful and probably never has to be done with any media as long as the whole feed path is clean.  The only place you get dust from media is usually right at the edges as it unrolls, and usually only from art papers.

francois

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 04:45:50 am »

. . .rocket blower?  What's that??

Rocket Blower

I also use a large soft brush.
Francois

howardm

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 06:48:20 am »

I use an old Alvin draftman's brush to brush off any sheet before loading it.

like this
http://www.amazon.com/Alvin-Co-DUSTING-BRUSH-14-5in/dp/B000HF6K9S

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 02:05:32 pm »

Well i removed my roll of canvas and cleaned around the loader and everywhere else I had access to.  I then loaded paper back in and printed again.  I brushed lightly after the print came out with a fine brush to see if any dust would fall and nothing did. I then cut the paper and placed it on top of my printer and noticed another TINY white dot on the forehead area of one of the pictures.  Nothing on the other though.  And this dot was REAL small but enough to notice.  So I guess it got better.  Should I use compressed air can to spray into the printer ?  

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 02:35:40 pm »

I would send that roll back if you are getting one on almost every print.
If you have flaking through the entire roll they might (should) replace it.
I get the occasional flaking but rarely more then one per roll and can usually touch it up if it is not skin color. Thats the toughest one to blend.

dunesurfer

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 03:46:04 pm »

Sounds like flaking from the roll.

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 04:43:52 pm »

Aw man!  So it's possible the canvas material itself is flaking off?  I'm using BC's Lyve.  I'm about half way through the roll. 

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 09:00:32 pm »

Wow . . Breathing Color .. what an amazing company.  White dots?  "Possible flakes on the canvas so we're gonna send you out a new roll on us."  Great customer service.  Thanks for the help guys

nairb

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 09:16:53 pm »

I've been using gold fibre silk exclusively for a couple years on an Epson 4880 and get this problem if I don't take steps to mitigate it. I now almost never have to deal with dust specks.

What I do is occasionally vacuum out the insides as best I can. This includes the paper tray area which tends to collect a fair bit. After each print is cut from the roll, the paper advances to just over the edge. I lightly squeeze the edge of the paper at a corner between index finger and thumb and run them along the newly cut edge, picking up a fair bit of dust. Clean fingers and repeat in other direction. Then I advance the paper out about 12 inches and give a couple light swipes with an Ostritch feather duster I bought at Canadian Tire for $10. Retract the paper back in through the machine onto the roll, and it's good for the next print. This has eliminated almost all dust speck problems.

They were getting pretty bad after a year of printing and were especially problematic on a 12x48 B&W print with a smooth grey sky. The duster is also used to lightly swipe/brush all prints after they come off the machine to check for dust flecks. This natural duster is the only thing I've found that will brush Gold Fibre Silk without scratching it.

When I occassionally do get specks, I use a very fine spotting brush with ink from Faber Castell pigment "Pitt" artist pens. I squiggle some ink from the pens on a plate and pick it up with the spotting brush, mixing and thinning with a tiny drop of water as needed. Usually to a lighter colour than I think and it matches up well.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 09:22:13 pm by nairb »

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 10:20:37 pm »

I bought this today
http://www.dickblick.com/products/faber-castell-pitt-big-brush-artist-pens/

Supposedly these help a lot with issues like this.  Anyone used these before? 

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 12:46:18 am »

Having been making pimento watercolor inkjet prints for 18 years now this has happened many different ways.  One is the flaking of the paper which other had mentioned.  Another way is when they are coating the paper, there is lint on the role is that process.  If its nearly perfectly round its caused by a what they call a paper chip, that that caused it.  Seen this way to many times.  Sometimes if the paper is not perfect the paper does not except the coating the right way which will cause a imperfectly round drop.  Ive even seen this as longer hair like fibers that will not allow the coating to adhere this is caused on cotton papers.

Although the milling and making of papers have gotten much better since the mid 1990's, it has become much rarer.  T

daws

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 12:57:27 am »

Should I use compressed air can to spray into the printer ? 

I wouldn't. You'd risk dislodging the dust (and God knows what other micro-junk) from every nook & cranny in the machine and spreading it throughout the print path. In addition, there are often contaminants in compressed air cans. Blowing out computer case components with canned air is fine. Printers, cameras and lenses, no.

I have a similar routine as nairb's posted above -- vacuuming the printer with a crevice tool and a small upholstery brush attachment which has been washed and dried to insure it is dust-and grease-free. Along with vigorous use of a rocket blower on the paper, and keeping my work table dusted and the printers and paper covered when not in use, it has cut down the frequency of those *&@#! white specks.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 01:09:12 am by daws »
Pages: [1]   Go Up