Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: across the pond  (Read 2879 times)

Dennis Chung

across the pond
« on: February 10, 2012, 12:52:40 am »

I'm new to photography and I thought I'd start posting some of my photos here; we all need an audience after all. 

Critique and comments welcome.  I am eager to learn.

shutterpup

Re: across the pond
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 09:02:30 am »

I don't care for this one. The word that comes to mind is "dingy." I'm sure it's the overcast day giving that effect.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 10:07:16 am »

Hi Dennis, welcome. I like these subjects too. I would have avoided the sticks on the ice. Try early or late in the day when the light is soft and colours more saturated. Try also this spring with the first flush of fresh leaves. Go back often. You might also try centering on the contrast between the yellow willows and darker vegetation. Low sun would help this. Enjoy!
Scott

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 10:36:42 am »

Sorry, Pup, but I wouldn't call it "dingy." It's a winter's tale, and colors aren't vibrant in the winter. Here's a version with the sticks gone. I removed them with single clicks, so the changes aren't perfect. If I were going to print this I'd take more trouble to get it right. In any case, I'd call it a quite good picture. It's not quite a "bravo!" but it's not bad either.

Welcome Dennis. Keep shooting. Don't let the croppers get to you, and don't let the pushed color saturation people get to you.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 01:43:07 pm by RSL »
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 10:44:31 am »

+1

jalcocer

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 12:43:16 pm »

+1 for me too

WalterEG

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 03:35:48 pm »

Dennis,

I can not only see your picture, I can FEEL it.

The old Paul Simon line about Kodachrome making you feel that all the world is a summer day doesn't always need to hold true.

Best wishes on your journey of discovery.  You'll discover lots about photography and, if you are fair dinkum in your pursuits you will also discover lots you didn't know about yourself and the world.

Photography can be a very benevolent activity like that.

W

MikeWhitten

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 04:44:39 pm »

I'm glad to have started visiting this site and thanks for posting the photo. Also thanks to the folks in the non-dingy camp for stating what they see. It causing me to try harder to appreciate a shot like this. I confess, they generally escape me.

Have a great weekend all,
Mike

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 05:04:41 pm »

I didn't care much for this shot because I found myself wanting to see more of the building than the rather dull trees and road. I'd love to see you shoot more at this location with more emphasis on the building.

Dennis Chung

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 05:52:52 pm »

Thanks everyone for the feedback, encouragement and tips.

The photo is pretty much straight from the camera with cropping and some adjustments to the exposure.  I did have a version with the sticks on the ice cropped out but feel of the image wasnt right.  I'm just getting acquainted with photoshop/gimp so being able to edit elements out of the photo is something I am learning.  Thanks RSL for providing the "preview".

louoates, it is the shed that first captured my attention so I was debating on what level of cropping I should apply to the image (captured with a 50mm on a full frame).  The scene gave me a sense of mystery so I felt the overcast sky, trees, and perspective from across the pond added to this.  But you have a point, the composition could be improved.  Maybe something like this.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 06:15:29 pm »

To me that's an improvement. But a crop isn't what I meant. I meant getting closer and changing angles to have more to choose from for your best composition. In situations like this I've found that I usually throw out all my early images of a place and keep the ones that took me longer to study and compose. In most of those cases it's also the shots that I take that are closer to the main element.

WalterEG

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 08:01:16 pm »

Dennis,

I actually found that the sticks added rather than detracted from the picture — they indicated that the flowing river was a hard surface with the sticks resting on the surface rather than floating on it.

I also see this as a broader contextual view of a place rather than yet another portrait of a thing (shed).

The image stands as it is and to over-manipulate it to become something it isn't is an exercise in futility.

We can only discuss the merits of THIS composition.

Within any scene there will be a million permutations of what else, or where else.  Sometimes you can go back and give some a try and other times you can only store the thoughts in your library of ideas and save them for another day in anopther place.

Walter

Dennis Chung

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 10:47:36 pm »

Walter,

You make some great points.  I suppose its a matter of developing a personal style which I am in the process of discovering.

I'll keep posting some of my "keepers" here for continued critique.

ced

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 02:40:04 pm »

Dennis I think this image is a B&W candidate infrared like toning with the yellow trees rendering a very light against the rear trees and for me the colour image is disturbing due to lack of contrast in that area giving a gloomy, dull appearance for my taste some dodging and burning can help the frozen water afterwards.
Thanks for sharing and as others have said in needs several visits and you will find something spectacular as the place is a dream.
Pages: [1]   Go Up