Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D800 Read Noise Measured and Compared  (Read 10108 times)

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Nikon D800 Read Noise Measured and Compared
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 12:55:32 pm »

The Dpreview testshots (http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikonD800/7) show at least very good performance on 6400 and usuable performance at 12800
Also it shows that at least some of their best lenses are up to the task even at d11 (- Raw downloads are provided)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

MrSmith

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 01:57:59 pm »

i looked at the 100-400-800 comparisons with the 5dII and 645d, the noise looked far more acceptable from the canon and overall a bit more sharper.
i was surprised at this and expected the Nikon to be streets ahead, the mkIII would i presume improve on it's predecessors noise performance.
sharpness may have been down to lens choice but they were primes not cheap zooms, would have preferred to see them use the the 5.6-8 sweet spot though.

bclaff

• Photons to Photos
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 05:31:35 pm »

is there any chance that your program will ever be updated (or fixed) to allow processing converted DNG files from more cameras (I mean Panasonic .RW2 -> .DNG) ?
I originally added DNG support in the hope that people could process any camera; but there are obstacles.

One is that NefUtil requires Raw data and not Linear data (Adobe's terms); not all DNGs are appropriate.
This will always be a limitation.

Another is that NefUtil currently only reads Uncompressed DNG files.
With some work I could enhance NefUtil to read Compressed DNG files.

Finally, and the most problematic; black level is not handled consistently across cameras.
Adobe has a notion of Black Level, stored in the DNG, but it is not always right.
Certain (non Nikon) camera models actually have optical black data, if you know where to look.

Bottom line. I am interested in data for non-Nikon cameras and will take raw files from people and "hand feed" then through a special version of NefUtil.
So if anyone wants to contribute data they should email me to get specifics on which images are required and on how to get the raw files to me.

Regards,
Bill
Visit me at Photons to Photos
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up