Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advanced Guide LR4  (Read 47734 times)

wtlloyd

Re: Advanced Guide LR4
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2012, 12:53:52 am »

I think the cleverness of breaking the videos into introductory and then advanced components has really promoted the delivery of information. I had thought the Lightroom3 tutorial wandered a bit compared to the earlier versions.
The new two part format seems to me to have brought things back into focus..and the gradient demo for explaining PV2012 was brilliant.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2012, 01:28:52 am »

Hi,

Looking forward to the final wrap ;-)

I know that it is a lot of hard work  behind the films, but hopefully you also enjoy making them. Chris does a very good job on recording the videos and also I guess keeping everyone happy. Make the final cut on all that video is an impressive amount of work, greatly done by Chris.

Best regards
Erik

And of course, we did our final wrap...
Erik Kaffehr

W.T. Jones

• W.T. Jones LLC
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2012, 02:38:00 pm »

I finally got around to downloading the available videos. The first thing I noticed was the background separation or shallow DOF and the excellent sound quality. Which I see was explained above. It is by far the best (IMO) quality set of vids done to date. I also am thrilled with the breakdown and explanation of how things work of the new basic panel as well as Process 2012 & Soft proofing.  Excellent job lads.
Warren

knoxman

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2012, 03:11:05 pm »

The videos are a bit....well....ETTR.   ;)  But the shallow DOF and Bokeh is nice...very nice.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 03:12:51 pm by knoxman »

bernphys

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2012, 09:42:32 am »

The videos are excellent indeed.
Wonder when will No.14 + be available

Bernard

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2012, 11:09:03 am »

Wonder when will No.14 + be available
I usually try to add new videos every two weeks or so.

This time may be a little longer because we are very probably migrating the downloads to Amazon S3. This will hopefully mitigate the download crunch every time we release something new.  ::)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2012, 05:43:16 pm »

I lucked out.. logged on just as the new videos went live and managed to pull them down in less than 5 minutes - nice to beat the feeding frenzy this time  ;D
Wild Nature Photo Travel

aduke

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2012, 06:43:14 pm »

I lucked out.. logged on just as the new videos went live and managed to pull them down in less than 5 minutes - nice to beat the feeding frenzy this time  ;D

You certainly did javascript:void(0); I just finished with the first one, it took over 40 minutes on a reasonably fast connection. It was better than the download times of the basic videos done after the frenzy was over, supposedly.

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2012, 05:11:47 am »

HI,

a question to Jeff :

What kind of Macbook pro are you using ? For me and in the latest videos, it looks very responsive when you change the slidersx. Allthough yu are working on a 80MPx Picture, it looks pretty fast.

Like usual, it is great fun to watch you and I think ( hope ) I understand sharpening now.

Beyt wishes

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2012, 09:44:35 am »

What kind of Macbook pro are you using ? For me and in the latest videos, it looks very responsive when you change the slidersx. Allthough yu are working on a 80MPx Picture, it looks pretty fast.
I am guilty of being impatient with computers and often speed up the 'grinding' time... therefore your mileage my vary  ::)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2012, 02:23:27 pm »

Yes, Chris does "edit" the run time and tends to speed things up a bit so everything always looks snappy. But I really don't see a lot of slider delay when working. My Macbook Pro is a dual core 2.8 ghz i7 processor with 8 gigs of ram and booted from an internal SSD drive. Also note that while Mike and I are recording screenshots, we're also running iShowU HD recording the movies. It's pretty processor intensive. But the only time I really see any slow downs is when I'm running both LR and Photoshop...then things can get pokey particularly when the image I'm working on is from a P 65+ or IQ 180. Then I will sometimes see SBODs.

But LR4 on my laptop is pretty fast...and Chris does help take out the excess time.

Robert-Peter Westphal

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2012, 03:09:05 pm »

Hi Chris, hi Jeff,

thanks for the honest answers !

But good to hear from Jeff that the performance of the Macbook is enough for Lr 4. I consider buying a Macbook pro instead of my old PC wich show delays while working with Lr4 ( it is just a quadcore 266GHz with 8GB RAM).

My idea is to use the laptop for both working at home with a 24" or 27" monitor and on journeys without any external motiro.

Best wishes

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

mvsoske

• Mark V'Soske Photography
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2012, 11:14:53 am »

Chris:  I noticed that the "camera click" was missing from all the videos in the 14 & 15 downloads!  I miss them!  ;D

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2012, 12:17:48 pm »

@mvsoske: interesting. I figured that Advanced users want to get to the content quicker without so much Lu-La branding; so the sunrise click is on the Introduction videos but not on the Advanced - that saves about six seconds  ;D

Robert-Peter Westphal

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2012, 01:17:53 pm »

@mvsoske: interesting. I figured that Advanced users want to get to the content quicker without so much Lu-La branding; so the sunrise click is on the Introduction videos but not on the Advanced - that saves about six seconds  ;D

Hi Chris,

I think this was a very good idea to do it the way you did.

I watch these videos most of the time one after the other and so it is much better.

Robert

Etrsi_645

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2012, 11:37:34 am »

To me the camera click had become the signature (audible logo, if you will) of the videos.
Pentax K-5 with lenses: DA* 16-50 f/2.8,

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2012, 12:37:58 pm »

To me the camera click had become the signature (audible logo, if you will) of the videos.
Well since the title is silent, maybe I'll sneak a click in there for the next lot - by popular request ;)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2012, 01:28:03 pm »

Well since the title is silent, maybe I'll sneak a click in there for the next lot - by popular request ;)
Instead of a simple click, how about the sound of cocking the focal-plane shutter on a classic Graflex, followed by the CLUNK as you release the shutter.  :D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2012, 01:59:20 pm »

Instead of a simple click, how about the sound of cocking the focal-plane shutter on a classic Graflex, followed by the CLUNK as you release the shutter.  :D
Well! I want you to know that the sound effect used was recorded and heavily 'cooked' by yours truly and I will not undertake such radical change lightly!

But if you want to record something along those lines and send it to me I'd be happy to try it.

Maybe we can work out some secret audio code with the key based on the unique camera click... ::)

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2012, 07:14:38 pm »

Eric, Chris:  I do sound and recording for my local church.  I'll be sure to bring in my pristine Crown Graphic and capture a suitable recording over the weekend :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up