Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One back users - What software do you use?  (Read 5440 times)

hdomke

• www.henrydomke.com
6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other with some qualifications…
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 08:07:11 am »

This discussion is being very helpful. Thanks to all who have left comments.

As best as I can tell so far, both programs can produce outstanding results in the hands of skilled operators. The key differences are:

Capture One Advantages:
Supports Lens Cast Corrections (LCC)
Better default color for P65+ because of a superior icc profile
Greater variety of tools to alter colors
Better for tethered shooting

Lightroom Advantages:
Superior Noise Reduction
Superior Sharpening
Digital Asset Management (DAM) for image organization
Graduated Filter for local adjustments
Simpler user interface for those familiar with Adobe products

For my landscape images from a P65+ back and a Rodenstock 32mm lens I'm wondering if this might be ideal, given that I already have extensive experience with LR:

Proposed Workflow
Import the raw file in LR for cataloging purposes.
In LR the file would renamed and ratings would be applied.

Open raw files worthy of detailed processing in C1.
Use C1 to apply the Lens Cast Correction and perhaps an exposure tweak.
Output the image as a 16-bit TIFF file

Open the TIFF file in Photoshop for local adjustments and global refinements.

Any comments on that?
Henry

Henry Domke Fine Art

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Phase One back users - What software do you use?
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 08:51:12 am »

(Henry your post came in while I was writing this, a lot of the same questions) not trying to write over you :)

Question for Jeff and others more familiar with LCC/raw processing on workflow between Capture One and LR.

If you open the file in Capture One to allow processing of the LCC, but are planning to work the file in
LR, how much more work do you do on the file in Capture One before applying the LCC and saving as
Prophoto tif?

Do you do any sharpening, or leave that off till you open the tif in LR, I have always assumed that
the initial sharpening will work better when done to a raw file.  Or is OK to turn off the sharpening
defaults in Capture One and then sharpen the tif in LR?

Do you correct the WB (the P65+ file always opens as Flash in Capture One instead of Daylight even though
daylight was selected in camera).

Where would you work on noise reduction, again on the raw in Capture One or after you save as a tif and
open in LR.  

When working Phase files, I have always found that some seem better when worked in Capture One but others will come out better in LR.  When LR 3.x came out with the new sharpening based on Photokit sharpening, I found many times I liked the results from LR better than Capture One.  What tends to move me to one tool or the other are the selective color adjustments.  Sometimes the LR flow works better for an image others it's the Capture One work flow.  As already mentioned the ND filter in LR is a wonderful tool and their use of the adjustment brush works better for right now, but I am still trying to figure out the "layering within Capture One" and slowly starting to get a handle on it.

As for the database, I am still trying to understand the "session" methodology of Capture One, whereas the LR process of importing and working from the catalog just works better for me.

I for one would welcome a version of LR that allows for LCC corrections. Hopefully this might happen later in 2012?

Paul
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 09:42:10 am by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 12:22:59 pm »

If you open the file in Capture One to allow processing of the LCC, but are planning to work the file in
LR, how much more work do you do on the file in Capture One before applying the LCC and saving as
Prophoto tif?

I would do white balance and base global tone/color and apply the LCC. Whether you do the lens corrections may depend on whether or not you have lens profiles but doing lens distortions before the TIFF output would be useful. I turn off sharpening and noise reduction in C1. Then process out a ProPhoto RGB 16 bit TIFF for use in LR.

Schewe

Re: 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other with some qualifications…
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 12:25:25 pm »

Any comments on that?

If you're going into C1, I would do  WB and global tone controls before processing and I would use ProPhoto RGB 16 bit TIFFs with no sharpening or noise reduction in C1.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2012, 07:07:04 pm »

This thread is helpful for me too.  It is what I was trying to start in the LR forum, but didn't really go anywhere.  I probably should have posted it here instead.  I am doing essentially what Jeff suggests.  WB, LCC, set exposure and maybe contrast.  Essentially get the white point and black point in-bounds then off to LR.  I also turn off sharpening on export.  I used to do Clarity in C1, but in LR4 that slider has some sort of magic potion in it (although touchy).  So now I try to keep my hands off it in C1. 

Seems to me the new "order" of working in LR4 is more akin to the C1 order.  I think I am getting better results. 

Just wish I was a bit better driving the C1 wheel.

Dave

Schewe

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 10:00:07 pm »

Just wish I was a bit better driving the C1 wheel.

It only take time and experience...as long as you understand the relative strengths and weaknesses, you'll recognize when to do what where...the basic local controls in C1 aren't that hard to learn...and LR4 can take your images further locally.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up