Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR4 Beta time lag  (Read 1922 times)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
LR4 Beta time lag
« on: February 07, 2012, 10:09:48 pm »

I am using the LR4 Beta   32 bit on a Mac with adequate memory.  When moving the sliders in the Develop module there is a several second time lag before the results are visible.

Are other seeing this also--Is this normal?

Also, when toggling the preview on and off, there also is 1-3 second time lag.

MDIJB
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:23:05 pm by mdijb »
mdiimaging.com

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: LR4 Beta time lag
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 10:25:28 pm »

I am using the LR4 Beta   32 bit on a Mac with adequate memory.

You sure? As far as I know, LR4 on Mac requires:

Multicore Intel® processor with 64-bit support
Mac OS X v10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) or v10.7 (Lion)
2GB of RAM
1GB of available hard-disk space
1,024×768 display
DVD-ROM drive
Internet connection required for Internet-based services

So, unless you post your EXACT system, we really con't comment...

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 01:00:47 am »

There is a lag between moving a slider and the screen update sometimes.  I'm sure the amount depends on the processor speed and available RAM.    It as assumed it is because the code is not optimized for the beta yet.  It's annoying and I find myself using LR3 because of it sometimes.  Guessing we'll see improvement in this if they release a beta 2, and of course when the final release version ships.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 01:43:38 am »

There is a lag between moving a slider and the screen update sometimes. 
Sometimes ?? more like all the time.
This beta is painfully slow compared to previous LR betas, they'll really have to work magic to make the release code usable.

W7, 64bt 3ghz quad core, 8gb ram, SSD library.

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 09:04:14 am »

I am not familiar with Lightroom 3, so I can't make comparisons to that software, but I do use ACR in Photoshop CS4. I have a fast computer (Intel i5-2500K / DZ68BC) and I, too, see some lag in Lightroom 4. However, the lag is not significantly different than the lag in ACR. Once you have a couple of adjustment bush edits or added gradiant masks, you are making the CPU work very hard. A low or middle performance computer is going to suffer.

Not knowing Lightroom 3, I can't be sure, but I suspect what you are seeing is the impact of the ACR features that have been merged into Lightroom 4. Adobe may be able to modify the software to reduce the delay you are seeing, but more likely you are going to need a faster computer to work comforatably with Lightroom 4. A graphics card may be an option, but I have not tried this and I am not sure if the delay is being caused in a graphics process or a CPU process. My hunch is that it is the latter.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 10:25:26 am by Remo Nonaz »
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

Martin Ocando

• Lightcraftings
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 10:57:54 am »

You keep comparing a very streamlined, code optimized and debugged version of Lightroom (3.6) with a Beta. And a Beta with TONS of new features, some of them completely reworked (Basic Image controls in Develop), to name a few. How can anyone expect to have the same performance? Wait for the final release, and if is still slow, then you can complain.

BTW Jeff, love the Whites and Blacks sliders. Makes complete sense to me. And what did you guys do with clarity? Added some Windex to the formula? My God!!!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:39:27 am by Martin Ocando »
Martin Ocando
Olympus OM-D E-M1 -

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 11:37:48 am »

I'm on a well supplied Mac pro with 24 gb of ram and now only want to use LR4 beta it is so much better!! Lag time is driving me nuts tho! Eleanor
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 12:31:57 pm »

BTW Jeff, love the Whites and Blacks sliders. Makes complete sense to me. And what did you guys do with clarity? Added some Windex to the formula? My God!!!

Well, it was primarily Eric Chan who reworked Clarity to eliminate the halos LR3 had the tendency to get. So then Eric was able to amp the effect. Just be careful cause LR4 is about 2x the strength than LR3.

Martin Ocando

• Lightcraftings
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 12:34:52 pm »

Well, it was primarily Eric Chan who reworked Clarity to eliminate the halos LR3 had the tendency to get. So then Eric was able to amp the effect. Just be careful cause LR4 is about 2x the strength than LR3.

Yeah, I can see that. But now I do clarity before exposure, because it tends to bring exposure quite a bit up.
Martin Ocando
Olympus OM-D E-M1 -

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 01:44:35 pm »

Well new clarity is nothing short of brilliant! Eleanor

Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 05:45:25 pm »

I'm Glad others are report the lag I am seeing also.

I use a MAC Pro, Snow leopard, 6 GB of Ram, Intel Chip, and an NEC 26" monitor.

I like the new sliders but the lag is annoying, Especially when using the adjustment brush.

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up