Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chicken or the egg (converting LR3 catalog)  (Read 1088 times)

Photo Op

Chicken or the egg (converting LR3 catalog)
« on: February 07, 2012, 10:56:30 am »

With the nearing release of LR4, I have some questions regarding the “best” way to convert my LR3 catalog. The particulars are-

1.   Mac OS X 10.7.3
2.   LR 3.7 catalog
3.   10,000 photos
4.   “Automatically write changes into XMP” is NOT selected

Many of the photos have had changes in one form or another (adjustments and metadata) since the creation of the catalog. Because of #4 above, all the changes reside in the catalog. I am wondering whether I should -

A.   write those changes to the individual photos and then create a virgin catalog by ingesting the up-to-date photos with LR4 when the final is released, or
B.   NOT update the photos and just convert the LR3 catalog when the time comes.

I initially chose #4 above to maintain the speed of LR based upon the hardware I had. Once I do either A or B, I’m not sure yet whether to continue with #4, but that might be a question for another day. Right now I’m looking to optimize my experience once LR4 is released in final form.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
David

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Chicken or the egg (converting LR3 catalog)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 12:40:12 pm »

B.   NOT update the photos and just convert the LR3 catalog when the time comes.

I would simply do a catalog upgrade from your LR3 to the LR4. Your LR3 catalogue will not be altered but a new LR4 one will be created.

In the past, I've taken the effort to export out the main catalogue and then import the catalogue to a newly made catalogue–this was for updating LR2 to LR3 catalogues but this was mainly because so much stuff changed in the database between 2 & 3. Exporting a catalogue cleans up the database of all the unnecessary "cruft" (which was a term used by the LR engineers). Either way, upon updating you should back up your new catalogue and optimize it (which also clears the cruft).

Martin Ocando

• Lightcraftings
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 02:22:16 pm »

Since the release of LR4 Beta, I've been importing my photos to LR4, leaving LR3 outdated. Can I later convert LR3 catalog, and export and reimport my LR4 catalog and merge both? Or is there a better way?

Thanks

I would simply do a catalog upgrade from your LR3 to the LR4. Your LR3 catalogue will not be altered but a new LR4 one will be created.

In the past, I've taken the effort to export out the main catalogue and then import the catalogue to a newly made catalogue–this was for updating LR2 to LR3 catalogues but this was mainly because so much stuff changed in the database between 2 & 3. Exporting a catalogue cleans up the database of all the unnecessary "cruft" (which was a term used by the LR engineers). Either way, upon updating you should back up your new catalogue and optimize it (which also clears the cruft).
Martin Ocando
Olympus OM-D E-M1 -

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 02:31:20 pm »

When Lightroom 4 comes out, it will upgrade your beta catalogue. You then use File / import from catalog to bring your LR3 catalogue into it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up