Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC PA241W Profiling With CEDP  (Read 2750 times)

MBehrens

NEC PA241W Profiling With CEDP
« on: February 07, 2012, 12:53:20 am »

NEC PA241W Profiling With Color Eyes Display Pro

I recently upgraded to a NEC PA241W display only to discover that my calibration software CEDP does not support DDC. No DDC support is a real disappointment. Seeing as I'd rather not purchase another calibration product since I already own one of the best. Is there a proven process for using CEDP to calibrate this display?

My attempt so far was to:
  • - Use NEC MultiProfiler to set White point, instead of DDC. Turned off the "create and manage ICC profiles" in Settings, figure this will be CEDP's job.
  • - Picture Mode = Full (realize now I should have chosen Custom...)
  • - Brightness = 115 cd/m2 (Set the target in CEDP to 120)
  • - Black Level = Minimum
  • - Gamma = L*
  • - Color Gamut = No Change
  • - White Point = CIE: y 0.298, y 0.313, Correlated Color Temp = 7614K
    This is the setting that worries me. This was the setting that brought the CEDP colors closest to 0 in the Monitor White dialog.
After accepting these White Point settings, ran the profile. The Delta E results were okay and some trial prints seem to match fairly well. The Correlated Color Temp just seems way out of range for a display of this caliber.

Windows 7 64bit
ATI Radeon HD 3400
Sensor: Eye 1 Display 2

CEDP Settings:
LCD Brightness/Gains
ICC v2, 16bit
White Point Target = D65, 120 cd/m2
Gamma = L*
Black Point = Min. Luminance

Thanks for any help,
Morey

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: NEC PA241W Profiling With CEDP
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 06:27:56 am »

I recently upgraded to a NEC PA241W display only to discover that my calibration software CEDP does not support DDC. No DDC support is a real disappointment. Seeing as I'd rather not purchase another calibration product since I already own one of the best. Is there a proven process for using CEDP to calibrate this display?

Thanks for any help,
Morey

Morey, unless something has changed dramatically, as far as I know the answer in respect of DDC compliance is "No". Integrated-Color is a third party developer and they need cooperative arrangements with the display manufacturers to enable this. Because NEC provides its own calibration and profiling package in North America (Spectraview) and has a relationship with BasicColor in Europe, it would appear that they have no interest in supporting CEDP. As I say, unless something has changed since I last looked into it a couple of years ago. I am using a PA271, which is the same thing as your PA241 but 27" instead of 24". I bought it with the Spectraview package and NEC colorimeter, but I don't use Spectraview. Instead I bought a license to BasicColor, downloaded the application from their website and calibrated and profiled my display using BasicColor software with NEC's colorimeter. This approach is DDC compliant, the whole approach works seamlessly and the results are fine.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

MBehrens

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 10:50:32 pm »

Mark, You are correct in confirming my statement - CEDP does not support DDC on NEC displays.

But simply because DDC is not supported does not obviate the possibility of CEDP being used to created an accurate ICC profile and aid in the calibration of the display. DDC is fairly dodgy in many displays and nonexistent in even more.

My question is to the many experts on this forum is what is a valid workflow for utilizing CEDP on the NEC PA241W display to calibrate it accurately. I have tried using the NEC supplied program MultiProfiler to interactively adjust the White Point and Brightness to targets in CEDP, but as I mentioned in my original post, the values differ between the the 2 programs. To obtain a brightness target of 120 cd/m2 in CEDP I have to set the brightness to ~110  or less in MultiProfiler. This seems odd.

Compared to my previous display the PA241W has a myriad of settings and controls that are frankly a bit intimidating. Hoping the collective intellect here will be able to help me out.

Thanks.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 08:46:34 am »

I recommend you save yourself a lot of time and trouble by getting Spectraview with NEC's colorimeter and using them. It's an additional expenditure, but taken over the life use you expect to get from such a high quality display, unless you just can't afford the layout, it doesn't make sense to fidget with workarounds. Spectraview provides a seamless calibration and profiling workflow and the NEC colorimeter is tuned for that display.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

WombatHorror

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 01:23:49 am »

My attempt so far was to:
  • - Use NEC MultiProfiler to set White point, instead of DDC. Turned off the "create and manage ICC profiles" in Settings, figure this will be CEDP's job.
  • - Picture Mode = Full (realize now I should have chosen Custom...)
  • - Brightness = 115 cd/m2 (Set the target in CEDP to 120)
  • - Black Level = Minimum
  • - Gamma = L*
  • - Color Gamut = No Change
  • - White Point = CIE: y 0.298, y 0.313, Correlated Color Temp = 7614K
    This is the setting that worries me. This was the setting that brought the CEDP colors closest to 0 in the Monitor White dialog.
After accepting these White Point settings, ran the profile. The Delta E results were okay and some trial prints seem to match fairly well. The Correlated Color Temp just seems way out of range for a display of this caliber.

Windows 7 64bit
ATI Radeon HD 3400
Sensor: Eye 1 Display 2

CEDP Settings:
LCD Brightness/Gains
ICC v2, 16bit
White Point Target = D65, 120 cd/m2
Gamma = L*
Black Point = Min. Luminance

Thanks for any help,
Morey

What probe are you using? Many don't work on wide gamut and can give wacky white point (and primary location) readings. YOu need a probe that can handle it or software that will apply compensation. Some copies of probes are flat out broken and others are simply poor by random chance.

EDIT: from below, my guess is that you are using a probe that can't handle wide gamut monitors without compensation applied (CEDP applies no compensation to probes)

For kicks look at this data:
monitor has heavy usage, more than 5000 hours, when the internal factory measurement and color engine say that the white point has been set to .307,.327 other probes say:

NEC i1D2 before being warmed up using SV II with wide gamut compensation applied:
WP .319,.335

NEC i1D2 as above but after proper warm up, sitting on the screen for 20 mins and then being continuous read from for about 20-25min (the latter seemed to help it warm up much more than the former):
WP .316,.331

(a different time, but still relevant, NEC i1D2 without using SV II's custom wide gamut compensation:
WP .319,.344)

i1 Pro spectrophotometer (thus wide gamut capable) (no warm-up):
WP .315,.3325

i1 Display Pro with no warm-up and using SV II software which knows to call the wide gamut internal table in the probe:
WP .311,.329

i1 Display Pro as above but after 10+ minutes of continuous read warm-up:
WP .3095,.327

Stock DTP94b from Integrated Color without wide gamut matrix compensation (or warm up):
WP .331,.333

DTP94b from and calibrated by Spectracal without using wide gamut matrix compensation:
WP .329,.331

A few things to note are that the i1 Display Pro reads much closer to the what the internal factory calibration+color engine claim things are set to (although after 5000 hours is this desired or does drift mean the ones farther off might actually be more correct?? Sadly I have no $30,000 reference spectro so I can't say for sure.)

Note how a probe not meant for wide gamut and also used without compensation matrix (DTP94b) reads way out there compared to the others.

The DTP94b calibrated by Spectralcal reads + .0195, +.002 above the i1 Display Pro readings. Interestingly when you wanted .3127,.3290 you needed to enter  0.298,0.313 which so you need to enter -.015, +.002 which look very much like the sort of differences you get when you use a probe that can not handle wide gamut without compensation so I have a feeling your probe will not calibrate it properly using CEDP (and perhaps not even with SV II unless it is an i1D2 which SV II can apply compensation for).

As an example note here how a wide gamut measures using a wide gamut capable spectrophotometer:

and then notice how the DTP94b and NEC i1D2 without using compensation for either measure the wide gamut monitor:

they read it way off
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 01:26:48 am by WombatHorror »
Pages: [1]   Go Up