Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D800 is outed with pics and specs. 36 MPX  (Read 50805 times)

Mulis Pictus

• http://mulispictus.cz
Re: Nikon D800 is outed with pics and specs. 36 MPX
« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2012, 03:21:37 pm »

You cannot remove it completely, but you can have less moire at the price of reduced sharpness.

Yes, that's clear to me.

What kind of scenes and print sizes do you do where the difference in sharpness is so important?

I usually do landscape (often use stitching), who know what I will do in few months though. I don't think the difference in sharpness will be that big, I can just stitch more frames. OTOH it is always not bad to get more details and be able to finish with less images. Hard to tell how much more detail will one get with E version right now, without more samples to look at. Difference in resolution between D3x and D800 is around 23%, one might say it is not big difference too.

Derry

• http://
« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2012, 12:06:23 pm »

when my 800E arrives I let everyone know,, ;D

Derry

benmar

« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2012, 11:08:12 am »

Having moved mostly away from MFDB to 5D2 I now encounter moire very rarely. Just for the record, I have been frustrated with MFDB moire for years and have spent way too much time both in-camera and using software in post to avoid/fix it. My experience has also been that often software cannot remove moire without leaving "zebra stripe" pattern moire behind. :)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2012, 11:31:29 am »

Shouldn't deconvolution sharpening help getting rid of the unsharpness caused by the AA Filter?
The PSF should be well known or am I totally wrong here ?

jeremypayne

« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2012, 11:49:30 am »

Shouldn't deconvolution sharpening help getting rid of the unsharpness caused by the AA Filter?

Time will tell ... but what I do know for sure is that I have seen some extensive comparisons using D300's both with and without AA filters.  The cameras were put through some rigorous testing and the processing was sophisticated.

The results of the test were very clear, to me:

- without capture or output sharpening, there was a very noticeable difference between the files; these differences were clearly visible in modest sized prints (10"x15" prints)

- with proper capture and output sharpening, it took a bit of work to find the differences in the files and I could not see the differences in the prints

At the time, I was considering having my D700 modified to have the filter removed and concluded it was not worth it.  I came to have a better grasp and appreciation of the role of capture sharpening in digital imaging.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #145 on: February 26, 2012, 12:09:24 pm »

Sounds reasonable to me and is similar in my current hybrid film-scanning workflow.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #146 on: February 26, 2012, 04:30:30 pm »

Having moved mostly away from MFDB to 5D2 I now encounter moire very rarely. Just for the record, I have been frustrated with MFDB moire for years and have spent way too much time both in-camera and using software in post to avoid/fix it. My experience has also been that often software cannot remove moire without leaving "zebra stripe" pattern moire behind. :)

Hello Benmar,

Could you tell me with what type of photography you had problems with moiré when using MFDB..?
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

benmar

« Reply #147 on: February 26, 2012, 06:23:14 pm »

My work has been shooting products for catalog/internet, with lots of bed linens and upholstered furniture. One thing I'd add about the relatively rare instances I find moire with the 5D2 is that it is softly defined enough that I can take it out with software without luminosity moire remaining when the color part of the moire is taken out.

KenS

• Spark of Light Photography
« Reply #148 on: February 26, 2012, 07:58:28 pm »

Time will tell ... but what I do know for sure is that I have seen some extensive comparisons using D300's both with and without AA filters.  The cameras were put through some rigorous testing and the processing was sophisticated.

The results of the test were very clear, to me:

- without capture or output sharpening, there was a very noticeable difference between the files; these differences were clearly visible in modest sized prints (10"x15" prints)

- with proper capture and output sharpening, it took a bit of work to find the differences in the files and I could not see the differences in the prints

At the time, I was considering having my D700 modified to have the filter removed and concluded it was not worth it.  I came to have a better grasp and appreciation of the role of capture sharpening in digital imaging.

Thanks for the info, it is useful to me to know you couldn't see a difference in the prints.  Was capture and output sharpening applied to both both the AA and non-AA files, and if so, was it applied in equal amount to both files. The obvious 'concern' being that the non-AA files will always remain a step sharper if both files are sharpened equally.  I also wonder about the relative effects of micro-contrast enhancers such as Focus Magic, Topaz Adjust 5, and perhaps the Clarity control in Adobe Camera RAW.

hjulenissen

« Reply #149 on: February 27, 2012, 01:30:03 am »

I doubt that Nikon publish the PSF of their cameras. Further, Nikon may not choose to use deconvolution in camera or in their raw development.

Any signal attenuation prior to adding noise will reduce the SNR. Depending on how large the SNR is to begin with (and how much attenuation), compensation gain (sharpening) might cause objectional noise/artifacts.

-h
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up