Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D800 is outed with pics and specs. 36 MPX  (Read 50808 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Nikon D800 is outed with pics and specs. 36 MPX
« on: February 06, 2012, 07:34:38 pm »

HERE

The new Nikon D800 surpasses all expectations with its 36.3 megapixel resolution ensures maximum fidelity and unsurpassed

The new release of the Nipponese company offers unparalleled features to please all demanding professional photography, videographers and filmmakers.

Sao Paulo, February 6, 2012

Nikon introduces its long-awaited release, the HD-SLR D800, which offers resolution never seen before, amazing picture quality and valuable video resources, still optimized for professional multimedia photographers and videographers. With unparalleled balance between precision and functionality, the Nikon D800 brings innovations such as the CMOS sensor 36.3 megapixel FX-format, 91,000 pixel RGB sensor, advanced Scene Recognition System and many other new features.

Exceptional Image Quality

The new 36.3 megapixel CMOS sensor (7360 x 4912 resolution) and FX format (35.9 x 24mm) is the largest in terms of resolution so far developed by Nikon, and come meet nikonzeiros numerous requests from around the world. It is ideal for situations where you can not compromise the fidelity, such as weddings, photo studio and record landscapes. A resolution of this magnitude gives the photographer the ability to portray even the smallest details with stunning clarity. Every aspect of the sensor of this model was designed to ensure clear images in low light, so it has enhanced features like OLPF converter and a 14 bit A / D to minimize the noise around the picture.

The D800 lives up to Nikon’s reputation of being the sovereign ability to capture in low light thanks to the standard range of ISO 100-6400, expandable to 50 (Lo-1) and 25600 (Hi-2), which helps create gradient amazing colors when shooting JPEG or RAW.

All these image data are directed to a channel of 16 bits for maximum performance. Photographers can also take advantage of the lenses in FX format lenses for more options and increased focal range (1.5X), while still maintaining the clarity and detail in high resolution of 15.3 megapixels (4800×3200).

The D800 has an advanced Scene Recognition System with its array of colors (3D Color Matrix Meter III), which provides precise measurement in the most challenging lighting conditions. At the heart of this system is the innovative RGB sensor that analyzes each scene meticulously, recognizes factors such as light and bright and then compares all the data using the unique database of 30,000 images from Nikon. This new sensor still has the ability to detect faces with high accuracy even when shooting through viewfinder. The Color Matrix Meter also prioritizes the faces detected, allowing the right exposure even when the subject is backlit.

Novelty is also the exclusive image processing engine Nikon’s EXPEED 3, which controls the entire system and is the catalyst behind the responsiveness of the camera’s auto focus and performance. The new Nikon image processing engine is capable of processing huge amounts of data, with perfect color and tone perfect. 3 The EXPEED also contributes to energy efficiency, allowing the user to use the camera for longer.

Featured in the new and improved white balance system of this model that more accurately recognizes both the sources of natural light and artificial ones, and gives the user the option to retain the warmth of ambient lighting.

Users can also capture a greater dynamic range with the HDR function and enjoy the benefits of Active D-Lighting for balanced exposures even in backlit scenes. In addition, the camera offers a dedicated button for quick access to Nikon’s Picture Controls to adjust the parameters of photo and video in real time, such as color, sharpness and saturation.

True Cinema Experience

The Nikon D800 is a compact and lightweight which is ideal for the production environment. Its features are very practical and functional usable by both filmmakers in the field and in the studio or filmmakers. Filmmakers have the option of multiple resolutions and frame ranges, including Full HD 1080 and HD 720 30/24p to 60p. By using the method of data compression B-Frame, the user can record video in H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC up to 29:59 minutes per clip. The optimized CMOS sensor reads the image data on rates incredibly quick results almost instantly.

The D800 also allows videographers to keep the resolution high definition (1080p) regardless of the selected scene mode. Users can also compose and easily check critical focus for HD LCD monitor 3.2 “and 921 000 pixels with reinforced fabric, automatic control of brightness and wide viewing Anglo.

For professionals, it is important to have a camera that has digital recorders and external monitors. With the D800 is possible to transmit an uncompressed HD signal directly off the camera for an HDMI output (8 bit, 4:2:2). This signal can be transmitted to a display, digital recording device or routed through a monitor, eliminating the need for multiple connections. The image can also be viewed simultaneously on the LCD screen and an external display screen while excluding the state data of the camera for streaming media.

The D800 also includes features to enhance the audio quality, as a specific output for headphones used to monitor the audio levels during recording, which can be adjusted within 30 steps. Have the onboard microphone can be adjusted with up to 20 steps of sensitivity for the faithful reproduction of sound. To complete the recording can be configured to be activated via the shutter button.

Shutter speed and performance with amazing accuracy

The autofocus system Advanced Multi-Cam 3500 AF is the next generation of the proven 51-point AF system Nikon. The fully customizable system offers users the ability to capture fast moving subjects in focus and accurately track, or select a single AF point with absolute precision in detail. The focus system uses 15 sensors of the type AF Crusaders for accuracy and the system also emphasizes human faces even when the viewfinder is used. The D800 also employs 9 cross-type sensors fully functional when used with compatible NIKKOR lenses and teleconverters aperture f / 8 or smaller.

For maximum versatility in different situations, users can also select multiple AF modes, including normal, expanded area and tracking of faces and objects / people, even the optical viewfinder.

Ready to shoot in less than 0012 seconds, the Nikon D800 can capture files in FX mode and resolution up to 4 fps, or up to 6 fps with DX mode with the optional battery pack MB-D12 battery and compatible. To further improve the speed of the camera and the overall workflow, the D800 uses the new standard USB 3.0 for fast transfer.

Format and operability

The structure of the Nikon D800 is designed magnesium alloy for maximum durability and reliability. The camera body is closed and sealed with gaskets to resist dust, moisture and also to electromagnetic interference. You can easily picture of the composition through the viewfinder of course, which offers 100% coverage of the scene.

The shutter was tested to withstand 200,000 cycles, ensuring maximum durability, while the sensor cleaning is made by the vibration of OLPF. The self-diagnostic shutter unit also includes a mirror balancer to minimize the residual impact of the “bounce”, improving the AF and zoom viewing time. Furthermore, the display is coated with a new finish protection thermal which serves to resist to overheating during prolonged use. For storage, the D800 has dual card slot for CF and SD cards, offering the user the possibility of recording up when a card is full, recording RAW / JPEG, separately, and the added option of recording still pictures to and video card to another. For recording and transfers at high speed, data can be recorded on the latest UDMA-7 and the cards SDXC/UHS-1.

The D800 also features built-in flash, and is compatible with the acclaimed Creative Lighting System Nikon, including the Command Mode for embedded control Speedlights wirelessly.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 07:39:59 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

akh

Re: Nikon D800 is outed with pics and specs. 36 MPX
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 09:58:08 pm »

How long usually before Canon announces their competing camera?
Regards,

Kyle

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 10:03:56 pm »

Do you mean announce or actually make available? :) Judging from the 1DX those 2 dates can be more than 6 months apart.

Cheers,
Bernard

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 10:08:52 pm »

Do you mean announce or actually make available? :) Judging from the 1DX those 2 dates can be more than 6 months apart.

Cheers,
Bernard

Yes, this is going to put Canon really on the back foot. With one announcement Nikon kill the 7D, 5D MKII and probably quite a few 1DX sales (call it still born if you like). Investment in glass aside, if you are in the market today for a High MPX DSLR for landscape I know what I would be buying....

Bernard... going to downgrade your D3X to a D800? (I think there may be a few Nikon shooters considering that!)  ;D
Wild Nature Photo Travel

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 10:22:42 pm »

Yes, this is going to put Canon really on the back foot. With one announcement Nikon kill the 7D, 5D MKII and probably quite a few 1DX sales (call it still born if you like). Investment in glass aside, if you are in the market today for a High MPX DSLR for landscape I know what I would be buying....

Bernard... going to downgrade your D3X to a D800? (I think there may be a few Nikon shooters considering that!)  ;D

Actually I sold the D3x a few months back before it lost too much value, so the answer is yes. :)

I am pretty sure Canon will deliver a 5DIII very soon that is likely to have 7D like physical specs, meaning weather proofing and all. The Canon and Nikon line ups will be very similar then.

The lenses line ups are also incredibly close with respective strenghts and weaknesses, choosing one system over the other will become real hard but the good news is that amazing image quality will be made available for all at pretty reasonnable prices! Photographers win!  :)

Cheers,
Bernard

Peter Le

• lewandoimages
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 11:01:38 pm »

Regretfully I think Canon has become to fat and bloated to answer with much more than a meager upgrade to the 5DII. Sad....I have shot Canon all my life...but if they don`t start producing I will have to learn Nikon. I`m getting to old to keep saying they will do us right soon.  :(

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 12:35:19 am »

mmm, I thought everyone said the MP wars were over? 

I don't remember if Nikon has ever beaten Canon as far as a significant MP upgrade in FF.  The 20mp barrier was the 1DsMark3, out about a year before the D3x.

So when will canon offer an answer? who knows  ... based on the 1Dx announcement they may have decided not to even go there.

Canon has been aggressively improving lenses for some time now, some speculate so users aren't disappointed with the IQ of higher pixel counts of the 36+mp sensors. 

D800 looks like a sweet camera ... great news for Nikon shooters - finally a high resolution body for under $3000.  I doubt any Canon shooters will abandon their glass as long as Canon can offer a decent alternative sometime this year, but if not some will, great for my store.  Nikon is now price protecting dealers like Sony does,  so the big internet sellers can't undercut the little guys out of the game.  there is a lot of pent up demand for this body ... years worth.

I really like the option of leaving the AA filter off (not sure whey they didn't leave it off of all them, at 36mp the sensels are so small moire should be extremely rare.)

I've seen a ton of users move from Nikon to canon because of the 5D mark 2, will be interesting how many of them still have their Nikon glass. If so I expect them to dump the canon stuff and grab this baby fast.  Can't wait to get one in the store and give it a go.

(although I don't shoot either anymore, it's either MFDB for me or sony NEX5 soon to be NEX 7).

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 01:25:24 am »

So is this the beginning of the end of medium format?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 01:29:44 am »

So is this the beginning of the end of medium format?

I don't know, but I have just browsed through the D800 and D800E samples... and they are pretty impressive in my book.

Combined with top lenses like the 14-24 f2.8 it delivers images that may never have been achievable until now without stitching. Just look at the level of details in the corners at 15mm...

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/img/sample01/img_01_l.jpg

Cheers,
Bernard

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 01:39:09 am »

Canon shooters have their own glass.  Seems to me it's the D4 owners who will be upset.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 01:46:06 am »

Image detail is impressive on the 'E'. You would need to be fussy about lens selection though.

Almost feel like selling all my canon glass ??? and put the purchase of a Zeiss 35mm f1.4 ZE on hold.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 02:53:45 am »

Well I'm glad they're showing us those 800 versus 800E examples.  Gives me a reason not to jump right in, I have to think about those issues.  I was getting so tense there for a few minutes.

But, hey, you sure can see the difference between superb and merely extremely good optics in those examples.  With that many megapixels the f numbers might as well just stop at "8."

So have there been any claims about dynamic range?  Those deep .jpg shadows are not too shabby looking!

K.C.

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 02:54:11 am »

Sweet! The game is on.

Pentax needs glass and they aren't showing any signs of it coming soon so they're now on the sidelines.

Canon may announce soon, or not. Either way it'll have to be at a price point that kills everything else they sell.

Switch ? Not until there's a lens like the 17 TSE in Nikons line up.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 03:57:10 am »

What I don't get is how and why Nikon posts a some of these demo images. Some of them are horrible and show nothing of the camera or in a negative way could even say the camera can't do better on pixel level. (Which I think is not true, because you can see what it can do in some samples) just silly....

When it comes to Canon, I don't think many will start selling their Canon stuff so soon... Or at least it would be stupid. There will be a 30Mp plus camera sooner than many might think.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 04:07:16 am »

Rob Galbraith describes how the 800E works:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-11674-12304

Rather interesting.

"We don't know why Nikon elected to rework the low-pass filter in the D800E rather than remove it completely or replace it with something else. Whatever the reason, our briefing on the camera made one point clear: the D800E will act as if the filter weren't there at all."

mac_paolo

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 04:47:41 am »

Amazing toy!  :)
The single feature I'm not found of at all is the battery.
With my "old" (!!!) D300 I never depleted it in a single day of shooting. This new battery is the same found in lesser models, which means, for me, to bring at least two batteries, where in the past (hold on to your seat) I never bought a second EN-EL3e battery.
With more or less 50K pictures taken it's still at its max life capability.

Fips

• some unrelated photos on flickr
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 05:09:00 am »

With my "old" (!!!) D300 I never depleted it in a single day of shooting. This new battery is the same found in lesser models, which means, for me, to bring at least two batteries, where in the past (hold on to your seat) I never bought a second EN-EL3e battery.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the EN-EL3e has 1500mAh while the EN-EL15 has 1900mAh. This would mean that the newer cameras consume much more energy and if they would still be using the "old" EN-EL3e things would even be worse.

mac_paolo

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 05:22:20 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the EN-EL3e has 1500mAh while the EN-EL15 has 1900mAh. This would mean that the newer cameras consume much more energy and if they would still be using the "old" EN-EL3e things would even be worse.
It's possible, for sure.
What can I say is that I now get 1000+ shots per charge. I never tested the average number, but maybe between 1100 and 1400.
It's a step back. Two batteries to charge, two batteries to carry along the camera. Not a huge deal, but still something to remember.
The huge battery life proved to be useful in long night stop motions...

shotworldwide

• shotworldwide.com
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 06:05:16 am »

Nikon D800 and D800E:
"The images are so big that for the first time in a Nikon DSLR, we've employed [the] USB 3.0 technology," says James Banfield of Nikon ...

This is good news for Apple, because they avoid USB 3.0 on their computers ... If you wish to use this kind of "speed" connection, you will need a computer with a thunderbolt port & converter ... even Apple is not perfect ...

regards, Filip
---------------------------
http://shotworldwide.com
Regards, Filip

-----------------------------
http://shotworldwide.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up