Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Monitor Choices  (Read 1854 times)

graeme

New Monitor Choices
« on: February 06, 2012, 07:25:15 pm »

Hi

I've been using a 2007 Apple 20" Cinema display for the last few years. I've been reasonably happy with its' colour accuracy, but am now thinking of getting a newer main monitor and moving the cinema display onto lighter duties as a photoshop palletes monitor.

I don't need a high end display but would like something at least as good as the Apple. The display will be calibrated using Coloreyes Display Pro and a DPT94 puck.

I've been looking at the NEC Multisync 2090UXi and the Multisync 2490WUXi. They cost a little more than I'd like to pay but they should be do able. ( And I believe that they have a 3 year guarantee which I like ).

I have to admit that I confused by all the different panel technologies listed on the NEC page:

http://www.nec-display-solutions.co.uk/p/uk/en/products/choice.xhtml?cat=LCD&mg=LCD_Professional

I'd thought that IPS panels were the way to go but don't understand the relative merits of S-IPS, IPS, e-IPS and P-IPS. ( And has PVA panel technology improved enough to be useable? ).

I'd definitely like a display that can be swiveled into a portrait position as about 80% of my work is in this format.

The HP LP2475w is another display I've thought about but I've read a few iffy user reviews ( humming noises when the brightness is turned down and I'm unsure if it can be used in portrait orientation with a mac ).

I'd really appreciate some advice on this.

Thanks in advance guys.

Graeme

PS. One afterthought: Is it an expensive time to buy a display because of disrupted production in Thailand and Japan? If so, I can sit this out for a while.

howardm

Re: New Monitor Choices
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 08:01:50 pm »

here in the US, those are discontinued models (the NEC 2xxx series).  Although, I did see NEC having a refurb sale on them (although may not be applicable to UK buyers).  Might want to check the P221 or PA231 or PA241.  However, you'd need to also replace the DTP94

graeme

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:01:46 am »

here in the US, those are discontinued models (the NEC 2xxx series).  Although, I did see NEC having a refurb sale on them (although may not be applicable to UK buyers).  Might want to check the P221 or PA231 or PA241.  However, you'd need to also replace the DTP94

Thanks Howard

No refurb deals that I can find in the UK.

The PA231 sounds interesting ( and well priced ).

The Spectraview software compatability page doesn't list the above displays as being compatible - maybe the page just hasn't been updated. Interestingly, the DTP94 is listed as compatible:

http://www.necdisplay.com/spectra-view-II/compatibility

Regards

Graeme

MBehrens

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 01:37:11 pm »

CEDP does not support DDC in NEC displays. Finding out now if this is a big issue, see my thread, but will add to the profiling steps.

graeme

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 06:59:44 am »

CEDP does not support DDC in NEC displays. Finding out now if this is a big issue, see my thread, but will add to the profiling steps.

Thanks for the info.

I had to google DDC. I guess this was never going to be simple.....

Graeme

howardm

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 07:06:10 am »

In another thread it was said that in general (at least for the NECs) that DDC was not a reliable mechanism and you really wanted to use a supplemental USB connection between the computer and the monitor.

I just added one to mine as I've had situations where Spectraview and BasICColor would just hang randomly during calibration.
Pages: [1]   Go Up