Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: which print size do you show when selling prints on a website  (Read 4284 times)

picturesfromthelow

• Luca Setti - Fine Art Photographer
which print size do you show when selling prints on a website
« on: February 06, 2012, 08:34:48 am »

Hi,
sorry for the confusing post title, but I could not come up with something better. My question is: when selling prints on a website in different sizes, which type of size you usually show to customers? Is it the size of the paper or the size of the actual print, or maybe both? My website is built in such a way that you can see the availble print sizes below each full screen image view. In this case I do not want to clutter the full screen view with excessive information regarding paper size, print size and so on as all this is clearly referenced on a separate page titles "PRINTS". I would like to show just 1 set of dimensions so that cutomers can easily identify which one fits his needs.

Any suggestion?

Saluti,
Luca

Rob C

Re: which print size do you show when selling prints on a website
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 09:07:42 am »

This is my solution; hope it helps:

http://www.roma57.com/sales.html

Rob C

picturesfromthelow

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 06:33:15 pm »

Thank you all for your feedback. I agree that it is important to show customers the actual print size, and a nice solution would be to add a table in the prints information page where print sizes and paper sizes are shown in cm and inches as well. The only problem with this approach is that I love to crop my images so the actual print size is almost always image dependant. So maybe I could provide a "maximum" print size in the prints informations page based on the paper size minus the margins, and then state the actual print size for each image in the image full screen view.... any better idea?

I would also like to ask another question, that is in part related to the above discussion: which margin do you use when printing? Is there a range of margins that is considered as a standard or suggested when selling fine art prints? So far I have usually printed with at least 1 inch / 2.5cm margins on each side. Is it too small for proper matting and framing of the print?

Grazie e saluti,
Luca

framah

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 04:55:32 pm »

You might want to use the term "image" size rather than print size. This way there will be no question as to what you are talking about.
Personally, i don't think the overall paper size matters.

You could say  the image size is 16x20 with a 2" border.

Your choice about posting metric as well. Definitely more work setting it up.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

picturesfromthelow

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 01:21:49 pm »

Thank you all for your suggestions. They have been really helpful. I agree regarding the importance of clearly showing the actual image/print size, unfortunately I will have to do that for each image since I crop a lot and do not use fixed ratios, so it will a bit time consuming. And yes, I must also show metric size, that is what we use here in Italy :).
So far I used to place my signature close to the paper border, I see now that it would be better to place it close to the image border, thus allowing the matt window to show it.

Thanks again guys!

Saluti,
Luca
Pages: [1]   Go Up