Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What happened to the pricing for the Canon IPF8300?  (Read 8415 times)

RMB

What happened to the pricing for the Canon IPF8300?
« on: February 06, 2012, 06:53:18 am »

Hi all,

I have been reading with great interest all of the recommendations to opt for the 8300 over, say, the Epson 9890 or more appropriately the 9900. I am completely sold on Canon based on such incredible admiration here on the forum. However, I notice in most posts that the cost of the Canon was always mentioned. That is, I can't tell if it's a great printer BECAUSE it is (was) so cheap or if it's a great printer that also happened to be used by Canon to steal market share.

I guess my question is: what happened to the pricing? Posts from only months ago state that 8300s were being had for under $3,000. Here in Canada, pricing for the 8300 is $6,000 and the 9900 is $4,500 (both prices represent $1,650 in savings from my retailer). In the USA, both are ~$5,000 from B&H. How is it that the 8300 seems to be twice as expensive as the prices people were quoting in late 2011?

Right now, my retailer is selling the Epson 9890 for $3,500, and I was so close to making the purchase, but after reading about the ink wastage and clogged heads, I decided that the 8300 might be best for me (a casual printer), but I'm not sure I can justify nearly doubling my ceiling. Did Canon successfully steal market share by giving away the 8300? Essentially buying people's positive reviews by blinding them with such an alluring 'give-away' machine, only to double the price when interest became high?

Thanks for all opinions!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:55:16 am by RMB »

Ernst Dinkla

Re: What happened to the pricing for the Canon IPF8300?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 08:05:10 am »

Did Canon successfully steal market share by giving away the 8300? Essentially buying people's positive reviews by blinding them with such an alluring 'give-away' machine, only to double the price when interest became high?

Would users keep their mouth shut on iPF8300 problems after the purchase whatever deal they had? There have been some issues with iPF8300 heads if I recall it correctly but not to the extent that the users think the printer in total is flawed, many love that machine. The fluctuating pricing of all the printer models should be seen in the light of the competition in general and possible overproduction in today's economic climate. The books for 2011 have been closed and 2012 might take another course, if not you can expect new deals.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst
Shareware too:
330+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

RMB

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 09:31:14 am »

Would users keep their mouth shut on iPF8300 problems after the purchase whatever deal they had? There have been some issues with iPF8300 heads if I recall it correctly but not to the extent that the users think the printer in total is flawed, many love that machine.
I'm actually not inquiring about the quality of the iPF8300 at all, but thanks just the same for the reply.

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 10:07:51 am »

canon tends to price everything in cycles. I can't speak to non-usa pricing, but you'll also notice that there are a ton of instant rebates on lenses from early dec to early feb. I bought my ipf8300 for right around $4k. just over a year ago. since then it has been as much as $1500 more and $1000 less. The full 330ml ink set that comes with it is certainly something to add into your calculations.  I couldn't be happier with the jump from epson. I have NONE of the printing/ink/clog/other problems so it's not just money for me. Speaking of money, I'm always blown away by photographers who earn their living from photography who are constantly on lookout for the cheapest thing they can buy. I need the best tool I can reasonably expense - I'm not into buying three of something cheap over the lifetime of one of the good version.

all that said, if you want to wait Canon often does another set of rebates/discounts in the spring.

Mark

RMB

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 10:35:30 am »

Thanks for the insight on Canon's pricing cycles!  I appreciate it.  I am in no rush, so intend to wait and see what happens.

I've yet to meet a photographer who makes their living with their photography (I don't) and who is constantly on the lookout for the cheapest thing they can buy.  That's a bit nonsensical, as the 'cheapest thing they can buy' wouldn't get the job done.  They are, of course, and as you say, constantly on the lookout for the best tool they can reasonably expense (which is, I submit, just another way of saying the former).

Darrel

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 11:49:00 am »

Canon Canada and Canada USA are 2 separate entities which provide different pricing and rebate structure.  Canon Canada has never offered any rebates that I ever knew about on the 8300.  I think the standard price for a 44" HP or Canon printer is $6000 regardless of any "savings" from a retailer.  When the price was around $3300 without additional rebates in the US, the best option was to buy in the US and get it shipped even if you will not qualify for any rebates (US address).  I think they cut the cross border shipments by retailers so you may have to buy in the US and get it shipped to a US address now.  Personally I find a easily user replaceable printhead is a selling feature that I would not buy a printer which did not have, especially in Canada where any service technicians would be expensive to find.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 12:46:02 pm »

Pricing has always, and continues to, vary wildly on a monthly basis due to aggressive and frequent monthly rebates that come and go. Some resellers pass these savings along to customers more than others do. For whatever reason, prices in the US are typicially much lower than nearly everywhere else. Sorry. Keep an eye open and catch a good deal when you can!
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

RMB

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 12:55:18 pm »

For whatever reason, prices in the US are typicially much lower than nearly everywhere else. Sorry. Keep an eye open and catch a good deal when you can!
Yes, definitely. I purchase about 50% of my wares from the US. I suppose my comparison is not between here and there but rather now and then. Retail prices in the US for the 8300 are currently twice that of the prices reported on this forum for most of 2011. Do the rebates typically cut prices in half? (I have no experience with rebate practices for these printers.)

I shall keep an eye open and hopefully catch that deal. Thanks!

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 12:58:25 pm »

Rebates are typicially ~$1500 for 44" printers. Canon had one last month, Epson has one this month....
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

RMB

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 12:59:53 pm »

Personally I find a easily user replaceable printhead is a selling feature that I would not buy a printer which did not have, especially in Canada where any service technicians would be expensive to find.
The Canon is the replaceable example, correct?

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 01:23:56 pm »

I think Lexjet is having some sort of in-house promotion on the 8300 right now.  I won't break your heart by telling you the pittance I paid for one in Dec 2010!  But year end seems to be the time when printer prices truly hit rock bottom.

Takes about 2 minutes to pop in a new head, then about 15 more to run the automatic alignments.  I killed one when it ran over an insect embedded in some canvas, life is full of surprises like that so I now keep a spare.  The other head is still original now at over twice the warranty mark, and that's with printing mostly filthy, dirty, dusty canvas!

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 02:24:47 pm »

Last year this time, you could get a 8300 for right at $2800.00 to 3000.00 depending on the dealer.  I still have old quotes.

Right now, best price I have seen is around $4300.00 from DTG for the 12 color and $3200.00 for the 8 Color S model.

Lexjet has no pricing listed so you have call. 

Also last year the 1 and 2 year warranty extensions were about 1/2 price, they seem to be back up to $1250 (1yr) and $2500.00 (2yr).

These are both US dealers out of Florida
www.lexjet.com
www.dtgweb.com

They will always be cheaper the BHphoto. 
Also remember that you need to consider a lift gate for delivery, ususally $75.00 more.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 03:27:57 pm »

Last year this time, you could get a 8300 for right at $2800.00 to 3000.00 depending on the dealer.  I still have old quotes.

You can do better than that right now, I just asked out of curiosity.  Call Lexjet, ask for Michael C.  Not affiliated, although I am a well treated customer.

ternst

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 04:04:28 pm »

I bought two when the big sale was going on - $2,250 each shipped (plus the free iPad) - one was for normal use, the other one for ink and parts. I've used all the ink and the maintenance tank from the spare one, plus have been using the extra spindle, and am about to replace both printheads - I've still got a new printer in the box to use if anything major breaks down. I wish I would have bought three or four of them now...

narikin

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 10:36:34 am »

I bought two when the big sale was going on - $2,250 each shipped (plus the free iPad) - one was for normal use, the other one for ink and parts. I've used all the ink and the maintenance tank from the spare one, plus have been using the extra spindle, and am about to replace both printheads - I've still got a new printer in the box to use if anything major breaks down. I wish I would have bought three or four of them now...
ditto and I sold the iPad for $40 more than Apple was selling them for.  it was a killer deal, assuming you have the space.

RMB

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 10:55:01 am »

Thanks everyone!  Ugh, that price (plus the iPad) is enough to keep me waiting.  Whether it gets that low again (unlikely now that they have successfully purchased their market share), it'll never sit right with me paying anywhere near the MSRP.  Brutal.  Just my luck that I decide to take the leap into this venture at the beginning of the year...

Thanks again, all!

Landscapes

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 02:25:03 pm »

Check out Atlex.com.  Just got an email this morning about a $1000 rebate and a $800 trade in.  Not sure if both can apply to you.. but worth checking into.

bbrantley

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 03:36:11 am »

Yes, the combo rebate pricing (if you have a "trade in") is one of the better prices to happen recently. 

Lexjet is very frustrating with their random deals, because even if you ask them months in advance to call you when a good deal becomes available, they seem to forget.  I've missed out twice on two of the best deals because of their inability to keep track of their prospective customers.  What's ironic is, once I know there existed such a previous good deal, I totally refuse to buy at the current month's offer from them if there is another vendor at a similar price point, simply because it feels like I'm getting shafted.  That's not really the case, but I think their scheme has the opposite effect from what they probably intended, for some people.   ::)

epatsellis

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 08:52:44 pm »

Check out Atlex.com.  Just got an email this morning about a $1000 rebate and a $800 trade in.  Not sure if both can apply to you.. but worth checking into.

They can, and I did (well, will when the printer gets here tomorrow).

RMB

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 09:19:34 am »

I managed to find a great deal (taking advantage of the rebate and trade-in--less than $3,000 shipped to Canada!).  I attempted to offer my business to LexJet, but after a terrible experience I ultimately bought my new Canon iPF8300 from Shades of Paper.  Great service leading up to the sale!  Now, I just have to wait until the printer makes its way up here to Canada (and then figure out how to get the behemoth into my house!).

Thanks for all the helpful advice and opinions!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up