Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Process Version confusion  (Read 1365 times)

Peter S

Process Version confusion
« on: February 06, 2012, 04:30:09 am »

When I close an image that I have opened in CS5 (having processed it and rendered it in LR4) but made no changes the resulting tiff has a ! and the message that a new process version is available.  Is this a bug or have I missed something?  You might ask why I would ever do this! It is usually because I realise I have forgotten to make an adjustment I planned to do in LR.

This does not happen when I edit the image in CS5, for example blending two exposures, and use "save".
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:16:07 am by Peter S »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Process Version confusion
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 07:16:55 am »

Hi,

My understanding is that you are using LR4 Beta which has a new "process version 2012" which is default. When you open the image in PS it will open it using ACR, but ACR doesn't know about "process version 2012" so it uses PV2010 instead.

Once you save the image in PS it will be a TIFF or PSD file and processing version may not apply.

Best regards
Erik

When I close an image that I have opened in CS5 (having processed it and rendered it in LR4) but made no changes the resulting tiff has a ! and the message that a new process version is available.  Is this a bug or have I missed something?  You might ask why I would ever do this! It is usually because I realise I have forgotten to make an adjustment I planned to do in LR.

This does not happen when I edit the image in CS5, for example blending two exposures, and use "save".
Erik Kaffehr

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 09:38:23 am »

Erik's description is correct.
Eric Chan

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 10:29:23 am »

This has been a “issue” of you will, ever since there was a possibility of a mismatch between versions (ACR and LR). ACR renders the raw from LR when you use the Open in Photoshop command. And as both Erik and Eric have pointed out, you have a newer version of LR than ACR. If you instead export out of LR and then open that rendered image in Photoshop, you’ll get the lovely new PV2012. Once the next version of Photoshop and ACR are available that match LR4, that “issue” disappears. But Adobe doesn’t force you into upgrading thanks to the availability of the LR export. The only time this might be an issue is if you work with Smart Objects and raw in that older version of Photoshop. Then it has to use the older version of ACR of course.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:31:24 am by digitaldog »
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up