Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printer profiling with ColorMunli Photo  (Read 3724 times)

Jan Morales

• Jan Morales Photography
Printer profiling with ColorMunli Photo
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:04:27 pm »

I have not found any way to tweak a printer profile created with my ColorMunki Photo. When I go to create a printer profile there are no parameters I can change, other than the name of the paper. I was wondering if the luminance level I set to profile my display used by the software when it creates a printer profile?

A related question I have is: Is there something different that happens when I create a printer profile using Profile My Printer vs. Match My Printer to My Display with the software?

Evanford

Re: Printer profiling with ColorMunli Photo
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 12:10:52 pm »

Hello Jan,

It's been a while since I used the Color Munki printer profile maker, but I do not think there is any tweaking allowed using their software.  What you can do,  which I found helpful,  is have the software fine tune your profiles against custom color patches generated from specific photos you load.   Have it run against a photo with good skin tones, for example, and it will create a color patch specifically for those colors.  I found I had to do this once or twice to fine tune the base profile Color Munki made for me.

I think the 'Match my Printer to the Display', simply calls both functions 'Profile my Display' and 'Profile my Printer' as a matter of convenience.  I do not believe it does anything different than if the user ran both functions  one by one. 

The luminance level set when creating a display profile is not used by the software when making a printer profile.   Obviously the luminance level of your display will affect whether you have a match between your display and printer depending on the light used to view the prints.

Good luck!

Jan Morales

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 09:54:04 pm »

Thanks for the reply, Evan. I was hoping to save myself the ink and paper, but I went ahead and did the experiment this evening and confirmed what you say. I set the luminance to 80 and did both a display and monitor profile and there was no noticeable change in the printer profile. It's disappointing that ColorMunki has no way to set anything to do with print display lighting.

Jan Morales

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 10:31:21 pm »

I have another question:

I don't see how to make a printer profile using two color test charts that have been allowed to dry for 24 hours each. I see how you can let the first target dry overnight and then restart the ColorMunki Photo software the next day and check the box for "I have already printed my target." However, I don't think there's a way to go straight to scanning the second target when you start the software. Is that correct? Is keeping my PC on and the software running continuously for two days the only way to profile the printer using targets that have each been dried overnight?

Thanks again!

Evanford

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 11:19:28 pm »

As far as I know that is the only way to do it.   Keeping the software running overnight is exactly what I did. 

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 07:10:14 am »

A little ingenuity is needed.

This is what I do.

After you've printed the first two charts go through the ColorMunki dialogues until you get to the first chart.  Click the box "I have already printed my target".  When you've scanned the chart and get to the next dialogue click ‘Print’ to print the target but when the printer dialogue comes up click ‘Cancel’.  Click ‘Next’ in the ColorMunki dialogue and measure your chart.

When using ‘optimise’ a profile you can use the same trick.  Saves leaving the computer on overnight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up