Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Difficult display situation...  (Read 1657 times)

willowsworld

Difficult display situation...
« on: February 05, 2012, 04:19:45 pm »

Hello. I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum, but I'm a little lost.

I have been asked to exhibit some of my nature and New Orleans street photography in a large glass case in the lobby of a busy hotel. Prior to this, I have mainly just displayed my work digitally. I'm struggling with with the printing part of the process, but the biggest issue I'm encountering is with the display case. It is very dimly and unevenly lit with rows of "under the cabinet " style fluorescent lights along the bottom and the top of the case. The visible space is about 102" tall. There are three distinct sections that are each 37" wide. The case is about 5" deep. There is a hole in the bottom right corner of the rightmost section through which a thick power cable runs to an outlet in the room next door.

When I look closely, I can tell that the pictures currently on display are actually really bright and colorful, but the lighting has made them look dim and drab. I realize that this might seem a little silly, but that really worries me. This is my first chance to get some exposure in a new city, but if the (far superior) pictures currently occupying the case are any indication, my images are are going to look awful.

I have been trying to figure out some way to make my images stand out - I have investigated backlit frames (though I'm not sure where I could run the power cords without a huge tangle), and have also considered making some DIY battery-powered backlit frames using EL panels or diffused LED "throwies," but I'm afraid that I'll just increase glare from the glass. I have looked into adding some bright LED stick-on "push lights" to the bottom, top, and sides of the case, but that will also provide uneven lighting, and will probably cause glare and/or reflections -- ditto to clip-on art lights. I think the biggest issue might be that, having never done anything like this before, I just can't visualize any of the potential results. Another complicating factor is my rather small budget.

Has anyone here ever had to come up with a creative solution to light a display case? Also, are there any printing tips (paper types and surfaces to use or avoid, etc.) that might help images stand out in a dim environment? Also, if this is an inappropriate forum for this question, does anyone have any suggestions on where I should go to ask? Today is the first time I have asked for help on an internet forum, so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right.

Thank you very much for your time.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Difficult display situation...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 04:31:29 pm »

How about asking for a lighting upgrade? Hopefully the hotel is conscious of their image, and if you presented it right ("This doesn't look good in your lobby"). Show someone how one of the current photos looks in proper lighting versus the case.

You may just get a quick "no" but maybe worth a try?

willowsworld

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 04:44:00 pm »

Thanks for your response!  That's not a bad idea, though I think I would still need some concrete suggestions on how they can improve their lighting.  Do you have any suggestions for good ways to light a large display case?

Garnick

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 04:59:26 pm »

I would definitely approach that possibility with the hotel staff.  However, if it's not a viable alternative you might have to try to mimic the lighting in the display box and print for it.  That way you can be certain your prints will look as you wish, unless they do decide to change their lighting in the interim.  According to what you've said it may not be terribly difficult to reproduce the lighting arrangement in the display box and that might be the best way to overcome the situation without involving the hotel.  Good luck!

Gary 
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

willowsworld

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 05:10:09 pm »

Thank you - I'll definitely try this.  But at the risk of sounding incredibly obtuse...well...do you have any tips on how to do that?  I have always displayed my photos digitally, and (beyond simple client portrait work) am only just starting to do much with prints.  I also have to outsource printing, as I don't yet have a printer of my own.  Thanks!

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 05:14:15 pm »

do you have the option of printing to DuraTrans and backlighting it? in a dim case it will be blow-your-socks-off vibrant.

willowsworld

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 05:59:23 pm »

That sounds like a great idea; I'm afraid I don't know much about how to do that.  Most of the backlit frames I saw online were prohibitively expensive considering the number of photos I'll be hanging.  Do you have any suggestions on less expensive methods of backlighting photos?  Thanks!

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 08:03:44 pm »

You are not silly to worry.  I have refused some otherwise very good display opportunities due to poor lighting conditions.  It's not just pointless to display your prints in dead light, it's harmful to your reputation.  I have found hotel managers to be very unresponsive to requests for improved lighting or anything else.  These days they're understaffed and have much more pressing things to do.  I'm sure they have a stake in filling those cases, but not in the details of presentation.

I just looked at several brands of LED lights at a trade show.  Miserable, yellowish light with dismal color rendering.  There may be better lights, but for around $50 to $100 per image, you get miserable light.

And if you want to add lights yourself, forget it!  That makes managers very nervous regarding regulations and safety concerns.  Essentially, if the guy is doing his job he won't let you bring in any electrical stuff whatsoever.

So what you have left is to print as open as you possibly can.  Basically, bring up the darker areas a few notches, and the midtones up slightly, and improve tonal separations as much as possible. Bring out the shapes in your images.  You can take test prints to the location to see how you're doing.  In that situation hope that a new set of lights isn't installed the day before the opening.   :)

willowsworld

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 08:29:34 pm »

Thank you very much - that was extremely informative!
I have become good friends with the manager's wife, so it's possible they may be a little receptive.  On the other hand, I'm sure that keeping in line with regulations must be a higher priority than my lighting worries.  Thanks for catching me before I spent a bunch of money on things I can't actually use. Thanks again - have a good night!
Pages: [1]   Go Up